DIY essentials

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
DocDoesFarming

DIY essentials

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Chuck2 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:15 am
Can't use an extension cord for it. Not sure if this is just an issue with my compressor or this is a common thing with compressors.
That's a bit strange that you can't use an extension cable for the compressor, it can't be a safety feature surely?
Tora wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:25 pm
Haige makes some good looking and cheapish compressors that my friend uses for his paint repair business- mainly air brush stuff. He recently bought his second one cuz it could run off of Makita batteries making it completely cordless aside from the air hose.
I think I'll pick one of these up, they look pretty cool and the reviews for them are mostly positive. Cheers.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Tora

DIY essentials

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote:
One thing that I would caution about is that it needs to be directly connected to a plug-in. Can't use an extension cord for it. Not sure if this is just an issue with my compressor or this is a common thing with compressors.
Been meaning to mention this. When you use a longer or thinner extension cord, You basically get a reduction in voltage. The longer the cord, the thicker the extension cord needs to be to compensate for the fact that longer extension cords result in more reduction in amps than shorter ones.

In short:
Use the shortest and thickest extension cord possible for tools with higher Amp requirements.

Unroll your extension cords fully- don’t be like me. That’s why there’s that tape indicator on your vacuum cleaner hose- so you know how far to pull it out when using it.

Google “extension cord rating” cuz I think I know what I’m saying but I don’t know how to explain it intelligently.

Also, Running too much current through an extension cord or using it while it’s rolled/coiled up can cause it to get hot and….

Chuck2

DIY essentials

Post by Chuck2 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:36 pm

That's a bit strange that you can't use an extension cable for the compressor, it can't be a safety feature surely?
Tora wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:29 pm
Chuck2 wrote:
One thing that I would caution about is that it needs to be directly connected to a plug-in. Can't use an extension cord for it. Not sure if this is just an issue with my compressor or this is a common thing with compressors.
Been meaning to mention this. When you use a longer or thinner extension cord, You basically get a reduction in voltage. The longer the cord, the thicker the extension cord needs to be to compensate for the fact that longer extension cords result in more reduction in amps than shorter ones.

In short:
Use the shortest and thickest extension cord possible for tools with higher Amp requirements.

Unroll your extension cords fully- don’t be like me. That’s why there’s that tape indicator on your vacuum cleaner hose- so you know how far to pull it out when using it.

Google “extension cord rating” cuz I think I know what I’m saying but I don’t know how to explain it intelligently.

Also, Running too much current through an extension cord or using it while it’s rolled/coiled up can cause it to get hot and….
I think it's to do with that it draws to much current (Amps) and so it is right close to tripping the breaker. It has a reset switch on the unit itself so that trips first so you don't have to go into the house and reset your breaker. Tora, yeah I get what you're saying. Funny that you mentioned about the vacuum cleaner, lost a people don't know that there are actually 2 tapes on the vacuum cord, first is yellow ( slow down your almost at the end) and then if you're wild enough you pull it out even more and there is the red tape.