Kominka

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Tora

Re: Kominka

Post by Tora » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:00 am

Upload them to a photo hosting service like Tiny Pic or any of the other photo hosting/sharing sites and they will normally give you a link you can drop into a post
I’ll check that out when I have time and patience. I’m pretty primitive with technology. Like an impatient monkey with a smartphone. The home button on my old iPhone sometimes misbehaved for the last year or so I had it. I found if I smacked it just right it would work fine again (like the remote controls of old- or now). It freaked people out but I liked it and the reactions I got. Felt good putting technology in its place too.

Tora

Post by Tora » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 pm

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:11 am

I'm thinking of doing something similar for winter to make use of the heat that goes into the attic. Use pipes with a pipe fan to pull the heat under the floor with floor vents to let the heat rise back up through the house.
It might be hot in the summer but I really want to dry out that subfloor area. It should be good in the winter. I don’t plan to send it up through the house intentionally. We have a wood stove and lots of overgrown forest for heating.

I installed expandable aluminum duct through the back corner of a closet/pantry. A drill hole saw was real useful for this. Well worth the ¥2500-3000 I paid for it. I like the little discs it leaves after cutting the holes.

Trying to find a quiet, efficient duct fan. A solar powered option is in the plans but I have other places for that money to go now.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:15 am

Ibaraki llama wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:11 am
I'm thinking of doing something similar for winter to make use of the heat that goes into the attic. Use pipes with a pipe fan to pull the heat under the floor with floor vents to let the heat rise back up through the house.
It's a good idea and saves wasting all that hot up up at the top of the house, it's very similar to how ECS and OM Solar houses work. The whole house is heated during the winter instead of having pockets of warmth in one or two rooms.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:58 am

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:15 am

It's a good idea and saves wasting all that hot up up at the top of the house, it's very similar to how ECS and OM Solar houses work. The whole house is heated during the winter instead of having pockets of warmth in one or two rooms.
Actually I got the idea from a magazine article showing a house with OM Solar installed. Was thinking of trying to DIY something similar (without the solar) to make more efficient use of the heat from the maki stove.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 am

Tora wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 pm

I’ve used the 無臭 kakishibu to dye clothes and it worked great. The regular stuff I had at that time smelled like cate puke or dog poop. I thought I heard that the unscented version was less effective in deterring insects but I cannot remember the source.

I wonder if the smell hits certain people stronger than others. The shibuzumi I use has the regular kakishibu in it, and I have some home-made stuff as well, several friends (myself included) quite enjoy the smell. Smells pleasantly fruity to me.
However, there have been others who have stopped by while we're working with it and had a strong negative reaction to the smell.

Very interesting how it can get such varied reactions!
Brett Rasmussen

http://www.okibi.jp

Tora

Post by Tora » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:19 am

BrettRas wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 am

I wonder if the smell hits certain people stronger than others. The shibuzumi I use has the regular kakishibu in it, and I have some home-made stuff as well, several friends (myself included) quite enjoy the smell. Smells pleasantly fruity to me.
However, there have been others who have stopped by while we're working with it and had a strong negative reaction to the smell.

Very interesting how it can get such varied reactions!
I seem to think different makers have different smells
Kids hate it in general. My friend who’s 10 years older than me said the same thing as you. So it may be an age thing.... then again he’s English. He says it smells like marmite. I’m afraid he’s gonna try some on his toast.

I tried the diy style but it was FUNKY smelling. Had the wife out looking for dog and cat poop in our garden. ... behind out apartment. I may try it again at our new place far away from the house. Can I use the green persimmons that fall off the trees early in the year? Is it wild fermented or can I use some other kakishibu as a source of the culture (yeast? bacteria?)? I’ll have to find a good way to crush the persimmons too.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:28 am

BrettRas wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 am
I've seen the plastic rope being used to tie the lattice together too. Makes me want to cry. That stuff should be banned completely. It breaks down so quickly and you end up with the microplastic floating away into the environment.
I completely agree with this. The farms I've been to don't seem to care about the amount of loose plastic ending up in their soil and such. I'm forever picking up loose strands of that rope or just bits of plastic mulching.

The house looks amazing by the way.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Tora wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:19 am
Can I use the green persimmons that fall off the trees early in the year? Is it wild fermented or can I use some other kakishibu as a source of the culture (yeast? bacteria?)? I’ll have to find a good way to crush the persimmons too.
You want to use shibugaki (the kind you hang and dry for hoshigaki), the extreme astringency you taste when you try to eat one before it has been hung and dried is the super high levels of tannins. That's what you want in your kakishibu. Earlier ones would probably work too, take a taste and sample the astringency! The sweet persimmons that you just pick and eat when ripe don't have the same extreme level of tannins.

It's wild fermented, there is enough "kin" already on the skins and such to do the trick.

I used a food processor to create the mash.
Brett Rasmussen

http://www.okibi.jp