Let's Talk Termites

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
donguri

Re: Let's Talk Termites

Post by donguri » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:24 pm

Update:

We were back out at the kominka a couple days ago and able to get a better look and feel of the pictured tubes. Seems they are not termites after all. When poking at them there is no crumbling, nothing sandy, in fact, they were pretty tough to destroy. No critters and no apparent wood munching either. A local tradesman said that they are not termites, but he wasn't sure what they are. They'll be investigating more when they go up in the ceilings, today, hopefully.
BrettRas wrote: Those look more like the little sacks left behind from metamorphosis of another insect. I'm not sure which it is, but it seems to like to make those little tube-like things in tight gaps like that. I have seen them many times. Especially along ceiling boards just like in the photos. Did you poke/pull at them? If they are silky/cottony like cocoons inside, then I'd say that is what you are looking at. They may have other dirt/wood bits stuck to the outside of the silk as well.
So Brett, you may be right with your assessment.

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Glad to hear they aren't termites. Hopefully things look good above the ceiling as well!
Brett Rasmussen

http://www.okibi.jp

donguri

Post by donguri » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:06 pm

BrettRas wrote:Glad to hear they aren't termites. Hopefully things look good above the ceiling as well!
Yes, all clear! Just some dust and big old wood beams. No evidence of anyone chewing anything or taking up residence up there. After my experiences with removing all sorts of crap and dead things from the ceilings of our cabin in the woods it was a most welcome sight!

BrettRas

Post by BrettRas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Excellent, that's good news!
Brett Rasmussen

http://www.okibi.jp

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:10 am

Yes, absolutely awesome news. Whilst it might not have been a total deal breaker at least you can move ahead now knowing that is one problem you aren't going to have to deal with.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:14 am

Huzzah for the no termites.
Looking forward to hearing as things progress with your adventure.