Let's Talk Termites

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
dayunbao

Re: Let's Talk Termites

Post by dayunbao »

Zakiyama wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:30 am
I've heard, but haven't tried, that if you eliminate the humid environment, the termites will move along.
An old house, we bought mostly for the land, has termites under the floor. It was suggested to pull up the floor boards for a while and dry it out underneath. Not sure if it would work or how long it would take.

Also in answer to the original post: looks like the work of mud daubers, docile solitary wasps that build mud tubes and fill them with spiders for their larva.
The akiya I looked at in Chichibu the last time I was in Japan was up on...stilts(?). I'm not sure what they are really called. Anyway, there was a large open space under the bottom of the house. I wasn't sure why the house was built that way. The taxi driver that took my girlfriend and I to the house said that helped deter termites because of the wind or something like that. At the time I didn't know why he said that, but now I think he was referring to the lack of moisture around the base of the house because of the stilts and the wind that can pass under the house.

Ibaraki llama

Re: Let's Talk Termites

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Yes, our house is built up pretty high and the crawlspace is pretty dry, so it should be pretty resistant to termites, but you never know. I'll try to give at least the outer wooden supports and foundations a spray with boric acid as I was also reading it's a good deterrent too.