Let's Talk Termites

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
dayunbao

Re: Let's Talk Termites

Post by dayunbao »

Zakiyama wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:30 am
I've heard, but haven't tried, that if you eliminate the humid environment, the termites will move along.
An old house, we bought mostly for the land, has termites under the floor. It was suggested to pull up the floor boards for a while and dry it out underneath. Not sure if it would work or how long it would take.

Also in answer to the original post: looks like the work of mud daubers, docile solitary wasps that build mud tubes and fill them with spiders for their larva.
The akiya I looked at in Chichibu the last time I was in Japan was up on...stilts(?). I'm not sure what they are really called. Anyway, there was a large open space under the bottom of the house. I wasn't sure why the house was built that way. The taxi driver that took my girlfriend and I to the house said that helped deter termites because of the wind or something like that. At the time I didn't know why he said that, but now I think he was referring to the lack of moisture around the base of the house because of the stilts and the wind that can pass under the house.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

Yes, our house is built up pretty high and the crawlspace is pretty dry, so it should be pretty resistant to termites, but you never know. I'll try to give at least the outer wooden supports and foundations a spray with boric acid as I was also reading it's a good deterrent too.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

donguri wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:13 pm
The Mr. and I have been looking at properties in the deep inaka of Aichi-ken. We found a kominka that we like and feel will suit our grander, long-term goals. The price is right and we love the location and grounds. The kominka was built around 昭和5, so around 1930 and has been vacant for five years, although the current owners have come and aired it out once in a while, turned on the water and used the electric. It's certainly aged and in need of repairs, but the bones of it seem sound, the lifelines are intact and functioning, and the roof appears stable with no obvious water leakage anywhere.

Upon closer inspection I found what I suspect are signs of termites between some of the ceiling slats on the second floor. The little tunnel-like blobs aren't big but there are more than a few. Hailing from the cold climate of the upper midwest USA, I have no experience with termites and have just started learning about the horror the past couple years. So I'm looking for any advice, feedback or comments, folks!

Anyone here have experience in this area?
Is this just a normal situation with old kominka territory?
What's the best way to deal with the problem?
Does this require professional extermination? Or is it just a clean it up and maintain from now on situation?
Could it be キクイムシ (bark beetles~ I'm told they're quite common to kominka life) ?
Maybe I'm just having nervous feelings based on lack of knowledge?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom ~ or wisecracks, a sense of humor is crucial here, I think!
I found these too behind some dry wall. They are made by mud dauber wasps:
https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland ... wasp-nest/

To combat termites, I am going to import some of this stuff to Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd5-eZf4N7Y&t=362s

https://www.sekaimon.com/itemdetail/322 ... Generic%29

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Have you found some termites in your house @KumamotoHunter ? Or are you importing that treatment to prevent an infestation later on ?

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 am
Have you found some termites in your house @KumamotoHunter ? Or are you importing that treatment to prevent an infestation later on ?
Had the house checked a couple of weeks ago. No termites. It was explained to me that since my house is built on a thick, concrete slab (i.e. no bare soil under the house), termites would be unlikely to invade. However, they quoted me 135,000 yen to spray under the house as a preventative measure. I will probably get that done, but money is a bit tight at the moment. In the meantime, after watching the above YouTube video and then finding a way to get that stuff shipped to Japan, I want to go ahead and pour it all around the house. Hopefully it will take out the mukade and gejigeji too!

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Incidentally, it's only the subterranean termites which build the mud tubes up the side of your house. Those can be easy to spot. The worst termites to get here would be the drywood termites (乾材シロアリ). They fly in, as opposed to coming up from the ground. They could be eating your attic out, but would be almost invisible to you. The guy who visited me told me that he is only licensed to treat subterranean termites. It took him three years to get his licence. Treating drywood termites requires a whole other license and is much harder to acquire. He said he had only seen one case of drywood termites in Kumamoto in all his years.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I didn't realise there were other more insidious types of termites, previously I'd thought they all came up from the ground. Is the only defense to make sure all structural timber is treated ? Luckily it sounds like the drywood ones are thankfully rare.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:05 am
I didn't realise there were other more insidious types of termites, previously I'd thought they all came up from the ground. Is the only defense to make sure all structural timber is treated ? Luckily it sounds like the drywood ones are thankfully rare.
I am not sure about the defense, but that would sound like a plan. Goodness knows how people go about doing/maintaining all that though. Might be worth looking on YouTube to see how people deal with drywood termites. I hear they are endemic in the southern US, for example.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'm not sure either but I imagine pressure treated wood for structural timbers would be a good start.

At least with the ground dwelling termites you should be able to see their mud lined tubes on the outside of a building but I guess detecting them inside is more challenging. How long does the treatment you plan on using last for ?

Tora

Post by Tora »

Just got done spraying a diy boron solution under my house. Info I found said it’s permanent and not as toxic as a lot of the alternatives. Got some in my eye which hurt but boron is actually used in eyewash solutions. Getting and keeping the powders in solution was a pain as the garden sprayer I was using gets clogged easily- hot water, paint mixer in the drill, use it the same day. Removing the tip was no problem is no big deal under the house but if it was in the hose, I had to drag the pump back outside, take it apart and flush it out with the hose from the handle side. The kid (‘da pump’!) was happy cuz she got to go back to her extended spring break for a little while.