How much insulation do you have? Is it enough?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Can't give you a price for our situation as it was all included in the construction costs for our house but it is one of the more expensive options. Looking on Monotaro Kanerite Foam seems like it may be a cheaper option, you can see more details on the maker's homepage Kaneka but I've never used it so can't say how good or bad it is.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Do you know it’s moldy? Sometimes fixing things that aren’t broken is a waste of time and money. Don’t ask me why I know- it’s a tender subject and I’m not finished yet.... If you want to get a better idea of the condition of the insulation, get under the floor or take off the plaster board in a closet in the darkest, dampest side of the house and look at the insulation there. Or ask an old (experienced) carpenter.

Will you be doing the work or a contractor?
A. You do it? Get out your tape measure and measure a floor, wall, ceiling. Measure them all. Convert that to tsubo (3.31m?). Multiple your area by 1.1 (assume 10% loss- more if you’re not a careful or somewhat experienced person or have an oddball shaped house). Check the price of the insulation online. It’s usually measured in tsubo or has that on the packaging. Styrofoam insulation is usually sold in 91x182cm sheets. 2 sheets is usually 1 tsubo. But measure and compare the numbers!!! 2 sheets (or tatami mats) doesn’t always equal 1 tsubo!!!!! You CAN ask me why I know THAT as I’ve come to terms with it and find it funny now.

B. Plan to have someone do it?
Read other posts about having private contractors (older guys!) do the work versus a construction company. If you have a neighbor there that does that kind of work knows what he’s doing, it might be a win win. Especially in the long run.

What are the winter temperatures there? Really humid in summer? Or average for Japan. How much sun and where is it hitting the house- especially in summer. Those kinds of things really make a difference in whether to insulate, how much, and what kind of insulation you should use sometimes.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Tora wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:19 pm
Will you be doing the work or a contractor?
A. You do it? Get out your tape measure and measure a floor, wall, ceiling. Measure them all.
Clarification:

Measure the exterior walls, floors and ceiling area you want to insulate if you’re doing the whole house. Measuring the base of the house is a pretty easy way to approximate the floor and ceiling area sometimes- it depends on the house design.

Redoing insulation usually involves taking off (and replacing) all of the wall and floor sheathing so it is a big ¥¥¥ job! You can usually add layers of insulation on top of ceiling insulation pretty easy with glass fiber type insulation and an accessible attic or crawl space between ceiling and roof.

Nuff

Post by Nuff »

Thanks for the info, it helps a lot, at the moment I can't check since I'm negotiating the price. So a lot of it is assumptions and having a budget to do the work if it's necessary.

Also thanks for the link to Monotaro, it helped me get a good guesstimate of material costs, although I still have no idea about the labour cost and I've just guesstimated it.