Keeping a monster dog

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Wolfsong013

Keeping a monster dog

Post by Wolfsong013 »

I'm out in the mountains of Tochigi, where there are very few people or cars. We have a giant doberman guard dog on the property. He's 40+kg, and extremely protective of the property.

We have him cabled up (no fences) during the day, but with his size and power, he's broke free a few times. Out in the countryside it hasn't been too much of a hassle, with the neighbors calling when he's roaming free. We've bought the biggest industrial cables, but they only seem to last a few months of use.

We caught some elementary school kids teasing him, throwing rocks, and antagonizing him. We went to the school and police with the video evidence, but those kids continue to rule him up and tease him, even with their parents present!

Does anyone have any advice on stronger material to keep him contained? We are not allowed to build a fence on the property, per the landowner's request.

Photo of the monster. He's a good dog, but I'm worried about him savaging the kids who are tormenting him. He's killed wild boar that got into the garden before (he snapped the cable to get it), so he is incredibly powerful

Shizuman

Re: Keeping a monster dog

Post by Shizuman »

Gday mate

Thats a good looking dog right there.
Have you considered a decent chain? Might even slow him down a touch?
Parents allowing kids to rile a dog up is a worry.
Hope it works out for you and the pup.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Oh another thing too is the curly anchors used for greenhouses
rasengui - spiral anchors.
https://www.nou.co.jp/shop/g/g0101118800008/

That attached to a chain?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

You can order pretty good overhead or ground run cables from Amazon.com
They are way better quality than the ones in Japan and are cheap, even including the shipping.

If you have a tree or two, or a tree and the house, you can run an overhead cable and then attach a shorter leash cable that slides so the dog has more freedom of movement without dragging a cable across the ground all the time.

Overhead dog run cable for big dogs

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

Shizuman wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Oh another thing too is the curly anchors used for greenhouses
rasengui - spiral anchors.
https://www.nou.co.jp/shop/g/g0101118800008/

That attached to a chain?
Thanks for the comment. We looked into a heavy chain, but I'm not sure what I'd need to do to attach a heavy duty clip to the chain as well is how to make a solid connection to the base of the doghouse (I don't have access to anything that could cut or meld metal). He needs an easy access clip because we bring him inside at night.

We tried the spiral anchors and he easily tears them out of the ground. His main cable is latched around the base of his dog house and can't be pulled out. We are just struggling to keep him from breaking the cable every few months.
20200212_162431(2).jpg
20200212_162431(2).jpg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 90 times
We've talked with the police and gave them the video evidence several times, but they have shrugged it off. They said that since we have filed complaints, have video, and the property is all fully marked with 猛犬 signage, that we have very little liability, but we really don't want to risk the dog hurting anyone.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

gonbechan wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm
You can order pretty good overhead or ground run cables from Amazon.com
They are way better quality than the ones in Japan and are cheap, even including the shipping.

If you have a tree or two, or a tree and the house, you can run an overhead cable and then attach a shorter leash cable that slides so the dog has more freedom of movement without dragging a cable across the ground all the time.

Overhead dog run cable for big dogs
Thanks for the link. Sadly, the trees here are too young to do an overhead cable. We tried a system like that at my inlaw's house and it was defeated quickly. He knows if he runs and jumps at max speed, he can break them. The speed with the force destroys almost every cable (we ordered ones on Amazon US for 250lb [113kg] dogs and it lasted 3 months before it snapped)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Lovely dog ;)

Would it be a total disaster if he ate one or two of his tormentors ? Could be a fairly good motivational incentive for the rest to behave like decent human beings :twisted: (spoken in jest). It's almost like the police have given you a green light
Wolfsong013 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm
They said that since we have filed complaints, have video, and the property is all fully marked with 猛犬 signage, that we have very little liability
I don't have any practical advice to offer, what do the parents say when you mention it to them ? Do they have pets themselves ? If they do, might be worth asking them how they would feel if someone were to treat their pet in the same way.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:18 am
Lovely dog ;)

Would it be a total disaster if he ate one or two of his tormentors ? Could be a fairly good motivational incentive for the rest to behave like decent human beings :twisted: (spoken in jest). It's almost like the police have given you a green light
Wolfsong013 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm
They said that since we have filed complaints, have video, and the property is all fully marked with 猛犬 signage, that we have very little liability
I don't have any practical advice to offer, what do the parents say when you mention it to them ? Do they have pets themselves ? If they do, might be worth asking them how they would feel if someone were to treat their pet in the same way.

He's a good dog, but certainly a handful. If he was a medium sized dog, I'd totally be willing for the kids to get a warning snap, but at his size and history he doesn't give warnings or let up.

The police know his bite history. We had a stalker coming around the house frequently, first leaving letters, then presents, then ringing the doorbell and asking to come in late at night (the troubles of being a young woman alone in the countryside). I put up cameras outside, and labeled the property and got the dog. The dog spent 6 months at the police dog academy and during that time, the stalker escalated to checking windows and doors at night. The dog came back, and was slightly protective, but not incredibly so.

The stalker finally took down the cameras outside, and put them in my post box. We set up police security cameras inside the house. It was shortly after, that the guy kicked down my back door and entered the house. The dog completely savaged him, and it was nearly impossible to separate them.

The dog has been very weary of strangers, and I'm worried about the amount of damage that he can do to small kids who are pestering him.

We talked to the police, and the school trying to shame those parents, but they don't seem to really care or understand the gravity of the situation. My husband tried to talk with them when he caught them harassing the dog, and explained that he is incredibly dangerous. The mother present wouldn't stop playing her smartphone game to even give him her full attention.

I feel like maybe it's a culture difference. I grew up around dangerous animals, even as a child I knew not to mess with barking dogs. These kids and parents don't seem to understand anything about animal safety (and staying away from my property)

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

BB gun might keep the kids away :lol: :lol:

edmundedgar

Post by edmundedgar »

Just a thought and maybe a naive one, but if it's always the same kids (how many can there be out in the untamed wilderness beyond Kanuma) is it possible to introduce them to the monster dog? Presumably the kids are just bored, maybe they could learn to play less antagonistically and the dog could see them as friends???