Wondering about...

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
starting_the_dream

Wondering about...

Post by starting_the_dream »

As the title says, I have a few questions that I'm wondering about, but they're not important enough for their own thread. Maybe this can serve as a general collection point for the smaller things.

starting_the_dream

Re: Wondering about...

Didn't want to clutter the thread's explanation with my own questions.

-I used すきま止めテープ this winter to help stop the drafts on the sliding doors and windows. This made the locks tight, but nothing terrible. I'm not worried about what I did this year, but I'm wondering if I get carried away in future years, is it possible to make things too tight? Would the frame warp?

-I have a wood frame house and some of the beams above the sliding doors have contracted with age. This means my shouji and fusuma are just barely inside the track above them. For the shouji, since it is bare wood, I can tack something to the top. But the fusuma have the black lacquer finish. Any ideas for them?

-some of the vertical wooden beams in my house have a cut running down the middle of them. I believe this is called hashiranosewari (柱の背割り). I understand their purpose. But my question is on the 2nd floor, I'm getting drafts up through them. Since the cut is so deep and very sharp, a caulking gun isn't going to get all the way into them. See attached picture. Trying to seal it all up would require more effort than I'm willing to expend. I just want to stop air from coming up.
Attachments
window.jpg
window.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

starting_the_dream wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:47 pm
some of the vertical wooden beams in my house have a cut running down the middle of them. I believe this is called hashiranosewari (柱の背割り). I understand their purpose. But my question is on the 2nd floor, I'm getting drafts up through them. Since the cut is so deep and very sharp, a caulking gun isn't going to get all the way into them. See attached picture. Trying to seal it all up would require more effort than I'm willing to expend. I just want to stop air from coming up.
Could you hammer a small sliver of wood into the point that you want to stop the air coming through and then use a chisel to cut off any excess that is sticking out ?

starting_the_dream

That's a good option. Maybe something thin that would go all the way into the cut, then caulk around it.

Tora

Post by Tora »

I might try using a thin sliver of wood or wire or something like that to push some caulk into the opening before hammering in the piece of wood. That way it push the caulking further in the the gap, thus increasing chances of completely filling it. Or so I seem to think. I also think you could look at droughts as passive ventilation. New houses are required to to have electric fans for that purpose and you’re getting it for free! And is “eco”! 😉

About the sukima tape, i would worry more about the pressure and friction on the locks, latches and trim than the frame. If it compresses over time it might not be a problem. If not, I might look around for some thinner stuff or break out a new new blade for the OLFA box cutter and have a go at slimming it down. If free hand is not giving good results I might try using some waribashi/etc that are the desired thickness as a depth guide and rest the side of the blade on that and cut/slice with a sawing motion.