What to do with my walls?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

My house (built in 1997, Kyushu) has wallpaper on the walls which has yellowed over the years and looks generally a bit crap. The wallpaper is over drywall (石膏ボード). I am trying to decide what to do:

1) Paint over the existing wallpaper with a white paint to make it look fresh again.

2) Take off the wallpaper (seems to come off pretty easily) and then paint directly over the drywall underneath, filling in any screw holes with plaster.

3)Take off the wallpaper and apply white plaster over the drywall.

Any advice? In the case of 1) above, do I need a special kind of paint? The wallpaper seems to be the type that can be painted over (I got some samples from the Internet and tried them in a few places to check for peeling/bubbling....all okay and it's been several months now). The thing is, the paint samples I got are for quite an expensive paint, and if I can use any paint, well then I would rather save the cash. I used this :
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/kabegamiyaho ... c_itemname

In the case of 2) above, is it okay to paint directly onto drywall?

It's just me doing the work and I don't want to break the bank.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

adding the same post i made on the other thread.

Not sure what it does (the sealant) but yes when the second coat is dry no crumbs or flakes come off the old drywall and the plaster sticks really well.
On the bottle it also says something about stopping stains seeping through the plaster (akudome)

For us, we used about half a bucket of plaster for a 6 tatami japanese room. One coat was plenty. But there are windows on 3 sides so depending on how much wall you have, mileage may differ.

In contrast, when we first moved in, we did the kitchen using the 'shikkui paint' for use over wallpaper. It did the job, but needed 2 coats and lots of the paint. It was pretty spendy. You can still see the 3d pattern of the wallpaper if you use this, in contrast to the plaster we used in the japanese room, which is gorgeous and smooth.

Tora

Post by Tora »

We used diy natural plaster. Hydrated lime based. Looks good on the walls I did :D . Super cheap. I don’t think I spent more than ¥10,000 on the plaster for my whole house. A lot of fun if you have the time and energy- I didn’t. Takes some experimenting and a lot of work. Lime is caustic. Keep a bucket of diluted vinegar to neutralize lime burns if using a lime based plaster.

We laid it on new drywall with a wheat paste primer, over old shikkui, and over tsuchikabe (by far the most difficult).

Good Masking is half the work it seems. Improper masking makes more work for a less than ideal result sometimes. Good Masking includes properly removing the tape. I’m still trying to think of a good way to fix problems caused by hasty removal of well adhered tape.

Find some friends or family good with their hands, figure out how good they are, and decide where you’re comfortable with them slopping on the goop. Or plan on taking your time if you’re doing it yourself. Sometimes an adult beverage helps you move more fluidly. It’s like a dance in that rhythm is half of it (I’m a terrible dancer). I’d offer to go help if you were closer and/or we didn’t have this Covid thing going on. I love Kyushu.

A good mixer and some large, sturdy garbage cans to store/age your plaster are essentials if you’re doing it yourself. We were gifted a top loading cement mixer at just the right time. It was so much easier than the drill I was using.

I think the sealer is important for all the reasons stated. My friends used regular old cheap white paint under their shikkui plaster. They got that advice from a pro. I think the “Shiro Kabe Shiira” I used over the old shikkui might have been cheaper depending on shipping.

Let me know if you want to go the DIY route and I’ll walk you through what I did.

The premixed stuff in buckets is probably a lot easier.

Start someplace people won’t generally see like a closet or private room, not the main hall or living room behind the tv and wood stove like me.... still looks ok though. And I can always put more plaster on top if I ever get back into S&M.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Thanks for your reply!