Dog Training

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
DocDoesFarming

Dog Training

Post by DocDoesFarming »

gonbechan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:12 pm
A little like Japanese dentists.. make their money by chinese water torture methods.
I fucking knew it, I thought it was strange that my wife had to visit the dentist multiple times just to replace her tooth. I'm not looking forward to my future visits to dentists, my teeth are pretty mangled up from over brushing.

21 years is pretty good for a cat! Sorry to hear she passed though :( At least she was at home and not stressed out in the vets, my old cat Tabby had to be put down and it was the most devastating thing I've experienced thinking about it. Held her in my arms as they injected her.
Do you have any suggestions for pet insurance? we have 3 cats and 2 dogs and 2 tortoises (have a feeling those two will out live us) so I'm sure the monthly fees will be quite high.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Dog Training

Post by gonbechan »

kaku.com is always a good place to start when looking for something.
https://hoken.kakaku.com/insurance/pet/ ... _s_823_777

Sadly when Japan finally got pet insurance, our cat was too old already.
I doubt you will get insurance for the tortoises lol, but I reckon they are pretty healthy animals anyway.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Dog Training

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks for the insurance link, think we'll get both of ours signed up after the new year. Do you reckon they take tanuki ? Perhaps we could disguise him as a dog :lol:

DocDoesFarming

Dog Training

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Just found out the mother of our two dogs just gave birth again....
Should I just go and abduct her and get the surgery done or what? I really can't afford another dog as much as we would like one, also picking poo up all day long isn't fun really.
Although if the local shiyakusho paid for the various injection and gave a bit of money for food I could probably deal with the poo poo.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Dog Training

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sadly many folk don't get their dogs or cats neutered and the subsequent kittens or puppies just disappear if they can't find homes for them :(

Otona Cream Pie

Dog Training

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 pm
Just found out the mother of our two dogs just gave birth again....
Should I just go and abduct her and get the surgery done or what? I really can't afford another dog as much as we would like one, also picking poo up all day long isn't fun really.
Although if the local shiyakusho paid for the various injection and gave a bit of money for food I could probably deal with the poo poo.
Might be easy to help list them as free rescues on one of the pet sites?

Three times too many, the owners need a public shamin' to take some action there.
gonbechan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:13 pm
About neutering, most see it as an unnecessary expense. Even though most municipalities have neuter subsidies, people are unaware of them. Vets themselves do not recommend it and only do it when the owner asks. This is because of pressure by drug companies who make the vaccines and heartworm medicine (which is ridiculously expensive in Japan).
Things might be changing, the 3 vets I used recently have all encouraged me to neuter my bigger pup soon as there is a high risk of testicular cancer in dogs after a few years. Though YMMV with vets.....had a really really really shitty one that missed a pregnancy on their ultrasound...which is important when it comes to feeding/exercise. When her blood tests came back abnormal a month later, I asked if it could have been that they missed pups in an ultrasound. "Not likely, no, that wouldn't cause her levels to be like this!" (spoiler alert, different vet confirmed she was pregnant) Then when there were complications with the birthing the shitty vet was the closest open place....but they had me waiting for 30mins while they had lunch and helped a few less urgent customers, only to miss the second pup's heartbeat on another ultrasound...sending me across the town to a much better vet, thinking pup #2 is dead but I'm gonna do all I can to save pup #3. Happy ending was the more competent vet opened their doors during off hours, found both heartbeats, gave her a calcium injection, and the pups popped out at home without any more drama. ( incompetent vet dared to try to charge but quickly backpedaled when I pointed out the 3rd misdiagnosis)

As to the annual meds, google nexgard and there are a few companies that will ship to Japan and the price is a fraction of what they go for in Japan. When you have 3X as much to buy, it adds up. If you have a Costco nearby, the dogfood has a good rep and is much cheaper than the brand name foods. They also carry wet tissues, sheets, etc. in bulk.

I only intended to have 2 doggos but the last litter came during coronachan's rampage and I had someone back out on me. (only bred her because I had people lined up for the pups) Not being able to find someone I trust to take him and not wanting to sell him to become a pandemic puppy, the pup with "no heartbeat" stayed with me. Mama is now spayed, the boys will be neutered later this year. In case anyone's wondering, they're not show dogs or anything like that. I went the the pedigree route because the requirements the rescue shelters had were beyond reason for Tokyo residents (who has a yard in Tokyo?), and a good breeder (there are plenty of shitty ones here) will screen for genetic problems, inbreeding, diseases and such. No dog shows for me but I will be a breed snob and say you're much better off with a more intelligent (easy to train) breed than the overpriced, inbred rat-sized, kaiiii that is so popular here. (though like the OP, if they have brain power, you need to keep them busy and burning off energy or you'll see it redirected in less desirable ways.)

DocDoesFarming

Dog Training

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Those are some very fluffy dogs, do they shed a lot during the summer time?
Also that shit vet sounds like a right fucking nightmare, glad everything turned out ok in the end though.

I wish we had a costco, it seems we're spending more on food for our pets than for ourselves, and we've just added another kitten to the collective the other day much to the dismay of the other cats we have, sadly the new cat's 3 brothers and sisters are going to a carecentre to no doubt get gassed at some point. Apparently Fukushima has a high rate for gassing unwanted animals which is quite fucked up.

Otona Cream Pie

Dog Training

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:36 pm
Those are some very fluffy dogs, do they shed a lot during the summer time?
Also that shit vet sounds like a right fucking nightmare, glad everything turned out ok in the end though.

I wish we had a costco, it seems we're spending more on food for our pets than for ourselves, and we've just added another kitten to the collective the other day much to the dismay of the other cats we have, sadly the new cat's 3 brothers and sisters are going to a carecentre to no doubt get gassed at some point. Apparently Fukushima has a high rate for gassing unwanted animals which is quite fucked up.
That's the only "taihen" element with them, brushing varies from once a week to once every few days but as long as you stay on top of it, it's not a big deal. (but I have 3 dysons to get whatever escapes the brush)

Now that the youngest pup is eating adult food, I need to recalculate the monthly cost but Costco is slowly getting up to speed with their online shop so even without one near by, it might still be worth it. I think I paid around 4,300yen for an 18kg bag of doggy kibble in store. They have kitty food and whatnot as well:
https://www.costco.co.jp/Cleaning-Laund ... 2Fcategory

That sucks about gassing them....though I really wish there were more programs to fix the nora neko you see here. No need to destroy the ones enjoying the free life but they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Dog Training

Post by gonbechan »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:27 pm

That's the only "taihen" element with them, brushing varies from once a week to once every few days but as long as you stay on top of it, it's not a big deal. (but I have 3 dysons to get whatever escapes the brush)

This Korean dude has a novel approach to dealing with fur when brushing and drying his dog.

Otona Cream Pie

Dog Training

Yeah, with double-coated pups, you really understand what groomers deal with when you bath them yourself. Imagine brushing them for an hour, giving them a bath, towel drying, and then when it comes time to blow dry them, it's suddenly snowing hair in the room :lol: I just close the door and go to work in the senmenjo area. The hair can't be helped and you're going to want to take a shower after anyways. The alternative is paying 1man+ for the pros....but x3 in my case. Makes more sense for me to buy the 2L bottles of pro-grade shampoo/conditioner and get to work. FORTUNATELY, shelties don't tend to smell so I can keep em clean for 2-3months between baths. Last night my 1yo pup jumped into a girl's lap (ultimate nanpa weapon!) and she as commenting on how good he smells and clean he is. He hasn't had a bath in 2mos.