Initial Costs?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
OnionChutney

Initial Costs?

Post by OnionChutney »

Good morning all,

Before I take the plunge and purchase the old house in the countryside, what were the biggest intitial costs that you came across?
Earthquake proofing? Double glazing? Insulation? Termite prevention?

Any insights and ballpark figures would be much appreciated. (I want to have realistic expectations when the time comes to start the renovations.)

Thanks
We think we've found our house in the countryside near Munakata City, but we want to be sure!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Initial Costs?

Post by Zasso Nouka »

This is just a guess and I'm some of the folk that have actually fixed up an old house will give you a better idea but I'd assume insulation and double glazing is going to set you back a bit but a lot would depend on whether you are going to do some of the work yourself of get tradesmen in to do it all for you.

Are you thinking of custom sized double glazing or fitting some of the standard sized windows in ?

OnionChutney

Initial Costs?

Post by OnionChutney »

Hi Zasso, thanks for the reply.

With the windows I'll definitely get a pro in to do it, and hopefully they windows can be standard size.

I've only got decorating and gardening DIY experience, so anything structural or that keeps the wind, rain, and cold out of the house will need professional doing I think.
We think we've found our house in the countryside near Munakata City, but we want to be sure!

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Initial Costs?

Post by gonbechan »

If you are going the akiya bank route to look for a house, be sure to ask about renovation subsidies for that area.
You might be pleasantly surprised.

edmundedgar

Initial Costs?

Post by edmundedgar »

Previous post on what I spent on my place - this was quite a serious renovation, I wouldn't quite say money was no object but there was nothing serious we wanted but skipped to save money, and we decided we weren't going to be cold which meant things like literally adding extra walls outside the existing walls.
viewtopic.php?p=7879#p7879

We got a quote for about 7 million yen on renovations for an earlier, less ambitious plan. (This is on top of the 7 million + fees we paid to buy the house and land.) This would have repaired stuff like the roof, put in new plumbing, knocked a little bit of stuff around inside etc, but still been cold.

At the other end of the scale I'm sure it would be possible to get a place over 30 years old and just live in it; Plenty of people do. But I'd imagine that for most places, to be still cold but not obviously decaying, you'd be talking about a few million yens.

On some of the specifics you mention:
- We didn't do anything about earthquakes except for buying a place that seemed sturdily built, in most cases I doubt there's much you can do
- On insulation, see the previous thread I mentioned and also this thread which has a lot from everybody: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=471&p=7830#p7830
- We put in new windows, mostly as part of new walls, so our builder made holes to fit the windows. But I think the sizes are pretty standard. Nasty ugly double-glazed windows with a good seal to keep out drafts weren't too expensive but I'm not sure how much mileage you get out of them if you didn't go to town on the walls and roof and the cold air is getting in that way.
- We don't seem to have termite trouble, touchwood. We put in a complete concrete layer under the house to keep out the damp, but we could only do that because we also ripped out the entire floor. Otherwise you may be able to stuff some plastic sheeting down there which is cheap but I'm not sure how effective.

Tora

Initial Costs?

Post by Tora »

Can’t speak for costs to have someone do all the work for you as I did everything minus whatever it takes to make it legal on our place.

Proper insulation is your friend. I wish I could’ve done more insulating either better quality products but budget and time and knowledge were issues. If the house has mud walls, I think exterior insulation would be the best bet overall.

Sticking some plywood on the exterior (and interior) walls really improves earthquake resistance- one reason why 2x4 houses are supposed to be so earthquake resistant. Lightening up the roof by removing the old school tiles set into clay will do a lot for earthquake resistance too.

If you can find some real old dude carpenters to do the work instead of a company, I think you’ll get more quality and a better price. It’ll probably take a bit long though

All that being said, you can easily spend as much on renovating an old house as a cheap new one might cost. I personally would rather live in an old one. It mi get last a lot longer too than many of the new ones on the market now.

Chuck2

Initial Costs?

Post by Chuck2 »

We are in the process of our third major renovation since buying our 350yr old kominka 9yrs ago. Each renovation was done by a construction company. Also, I always got three different construction company's estimate. Here is what I can say about prices.

Construction companies work in meters squared ( m2).

1. If you are replacing floor, ceiling, refinishing walls, installing insulation, adding/ replacing Windows, adding interior of walls. I would say the starting price is 10man yen per m2. And this is not including tax.

2. Bathrooms and kitchens will be extra price added.

3. Termites, we just got sprayed for them. It was 3200 yen/m2. This is super expensive in my opinion. We paid 4000yen/m2 for concrete under our home.

4. As for Earthquake proofing, no company said they would earthquake proof our home but they all would improve it structurally. Each renovation we had to jack up beams and straighten/reinforce. I got the price of this work included in the 10man yen/m2 because from the beginning I was worried about some of these beams. We did pay about 5-10man yen per beam that came up later.

There is also, two Japanese government, House renovation programs currently available to home owners. We are using both of them on our current renovation. One is a point system and you get gifts like camping gear the other is cash back. By using this system we were able to beef up our insulation and go triple glazed windows for the same price as double glazed.

OnionChutney

Initial Costs?

Post by OnionChutney »

gonbechan wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:09 pm
If you are going the akiya bank route to look for a house, be sure to ask about renovation subsidies for that area.
You might be pleasantly surprised.
I'll definitly begin researching subsidies. "Every little helps"
Ta

OnionChutney

Initial Costs?

Post by OnionChutney »

edmundedgar wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:58 pm
Previous post on what I spent on my place - this was quite a serious renovation, I wouldn't quite say money was no object but there was nothing serious we wanted but skipped to save money, and we decided we weren't going to be cold which meant things like literally adding extra walls outside the existing walls.
viewtopic.php?p=7879#p7879

We got a quote for about 7 million yen on renovations for an earlier, less ambitious plan. (This is on top of the 7 million + fees we paid to buy the house and land.) This would have repaired stuff like the roof, put in new plumbing, knocked a little bit of stuff around inside etc, but still been cold.

At the other end of the scale I'm sure it would be possible to get a place over 30 years old and just live in it; Plenty of people do. But I'd imagine that for most places, to be still cold but not obviously decaying, you'd be talking about a few million yens.

On some of the specifics you mention:
- We didn't do anything about earthquakes except for buying a place that seemed sturdily built, in most cases I doubt there's much you can do
- On insulation, see the previous thread I mentioned and also this thread which has a lot from everybody: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=471&p=7830#p7830
- We put in new windows, mostly as part of new walls, so our builder made holes to fit the windows. But I think the sizes are pretty standard. Nasty ugly double-glazed windows with a good seal to keep out drafts weren't too expensive but I'm not sure how much mileage you get out of them if you didn't go to town on the walls and roof and the cold air is getting in that way.
- We don't seem to have termite trouble, touchwood. We put in a complete concrete layer under the house to keep out the damp, but we could only do that because we also ripped out the entire floor. Otherwise you may be able to stuff some plastic sheeting down there which is cheap but I'm not sure how effective.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
I think the place we're currently looking at will need roughly the same amount/cost of renovations that you've done. Our budget is 10 million, so if we can get the roof, plumbing, new layout and insulation done for that then I'll be a happy camper.

Is there anything you'd wish you'd done, or wish you'd not bothered with in the end? Or any absolute musts?

Ta

OnionChutney

Initial Costs?

Post by OnionChutney »

Tora wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:35 am

Sticking some plywood on the exterior (and interior) walls really improves earthquake resistance- one reason why 2x4 houses are supposed to be so earthquake resistant. Lightening up the roof by removing the old school tiles set into clay will do a lot for earthquake resistance too.

Thanks for the reply Tora. These seems like a good approach. Appreciate the insight