What did you do today?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Zasso Nouka »

So finally got around to putting together the vinyl house we brought home earlier.

Still got a way to go but slowly slowly.

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Very nice. Hopefully I too will be able to put up mine soon. :pray:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Do you have one now or are you looking around for one ?

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

Looking around... except not sure where :lol:
The land next to mine seems to have a small one which is falling apart and not being used, probably they will just give it to me if I asked. However it is really tiny, almost square shape. Plus it is very rusty, maybe a good start if I paint it but I will probably not need it later I get my hands on a larger size.
If I hang around in my plot long enough I hope to be able to strike up a chat with some of the locals and see if they know anyone else who would like to get rid of their vinyl house for free.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

You could make your own using PVC pipes.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Funasshi wrote:If I hang around in my plot long enough I hope to be able to strike up a chat with some of the locals and see if they know anyone else who would like to get rid of their vinyl house for free.
Once people get to know you in the area and they like you these things will crop up. One of our tunnels came from chatting with the owner of the local gasoline stand who's friend was no longer using his, others came from friends who knew someone that wasn't using the tunnels any more. When you move into the area you will start to notice poly tunnels that aren't being used and can make enquiries.

A little rust isn't a problem but too much and you'll need to replace pipes in a few years which you will have to dispose of. We normally paint the ends of the poles with anti rust paint so they last a bit longer in the ground.
gonbechan wrote:You could make your own using PVC pipes.
Not sure how that would handle a typhoon, could be sayonara to it and everything inside. You need plenty of the black plastic 'vinyl house' string to hold the vinyl down during a typhoon and although some flex in the frame is desirable you might get too much with plastic pipes and not enough with those long straight timbers near the apex.

Funasshi

Post by Funasshi »

gonbechan wrote:You could make your own using PVC pipes.
Actually I have also toyed with the thought of using bamboo.
I have a whole grove full of bamboos which I plan to cut down, and it's a lot of bamboo so I was thinking of making bamboo fences, bamboo cups, bamboo greenhouse, and also use bamboo for beans/cucumbers to climb etc etc :)

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Not sure how that would handle a typhoon, could be sayonara to it and everything inside. You need plenty of the black plastic 'vinyl house' string to hold the vinyl down during a typhoon and although some flex in the frame is desirable you might get too much with plastic pipes and not enough with those long straight timbers near the apex.
there is an answer for that

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I mean no disrespect here but I don't think that one would survive a typhoon for several reasons, it looks stronger than the previous one but still don't think it would survive intact. Firstly the sides, all it would take is the wind to create an opening by lifting slightly or opening the vertical fixings at the corners and the vinyl would be shredded.

The black plastic 'string' here is designed to stop that happening

So that the wind forces the openings against the side of the house keeping it closed rather than opening it.

Next comes the internal bracing, check the diagonal bracing that resists compression and pushes the frame outwards against the wind.

The whole frame is under tension between the outward force of those bracings and inward force of wind but is able to flex slightly without being too rigid. The 'rib' poles form a complete arch that is naturally strong against the compressive force of wind blowing against the structure whereas I feel his frame has too many 90 degree joins that create weak points in a typhoon.

An interesting video non the less but even better than that is it brought me to the channel of Curtis Stone the Urban Farmer and his videos are awesome for any aspiring or small scale farmer. Loads of brilliant advice and DIY solutions, the man is pure genius and I've already ordered his book.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

I am already subscribed to his channel! :D

Personally I lust after a sunken greenhouse which I presume if done well, would be strong against typhoon.

And yes, after posting that second video, I watched it again and could imagine it lifting off in the typhoon and sailing across the neighbourhood.