What did you do today?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
starting_the_dream

Re: What did you do today?

Post by starting_the_dream »

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it's usually pretty dried out as well. Will start making inquiries in the area.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

starting_the_dream wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:20 pm
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it's usually pretty dried out as well. Will start making inquiries in the area.
It's quite variable, depending on the lumber yard. Some store their waste wood under a roof others just heap it up outside.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

This is a bit of a summery of a horrible but awesome few weeks.

Got horrendously sunburned on the tops of my arms due to me being some sort of vampire or gollum-like cave dweller.

Adopted 3 kittens from a local repair place. Named them Godzilla, Sukekiyo and Himiko.

Twisted my ankle for the first time stepping off a chair.

I just did my back in yesterday and can't do the stuff I had planned around the house or land.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Ouch !!!
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 am
Got horrendously sunburned on the tops of my arms due to me being some sort of vampire or gollum-like cave dweller.
Learn to embrace your inner cave dweller and cover every inch of skin when working outside during the summer. Cainz Home have some really good speed dry long sleeved work shirts. Once temps and humidity really ramp up after the rainy season these shirts are a life saver, sweat goes right through them and cools you down a bit. Then some good work gloves and a hat to cover your neck and face

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:23 am
Learn to embrace your inner cave dweller and cover every inch of skin when working outside during the summer.
Those neck protector cloth hat type things are a real life saver, but yeah I'll have to start buying those shirts you mentioned.
The last time I peeled dried skin from myself was when I was a child going on Pontins holidays near the coast or something.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

Ugh, the humid summers are one thing I don't miss about Asia.

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

"Slip, slop, slap"

https://www.sunsmart.com.au/tools/video ... paign.html

Yeah, we could use some of that sun right now!

It has been cloudy, cool, and even rainy for 20 of the past 30 days or so here.

Second day of 'winter' here and the cherry trees and the pink lady apple tree all still have a full complement of leaves!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

dayunbao wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:13 am
It is possibly the biggest downside to summer here, otherwise the temperature would be quite manageable. When I was living in India it was easier to cope with much higher temperatures because the heat was dry, you don't even notice you are sweating because it evaporates away instantly.

dayunbao

Post by dayunbao »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:24 am
dayunbao wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:13 am
It is possibly the biggest downside to summer here, otherwise the temperature would be quite manageable. When I was living in India it was easier to cope with much higher temperatures because the heat was dry, you don't even notice you are sweating because it evaporates away instantly.
I definitely prefer dry heat, but will accept humid summers if the weather the rest of the year isn't too bad. That was how I got through the awful summers in Taiwan. The weather the rest of the year was pretty nice. There are places I refuse to even consider living due to the weather...like Scandinavia. From everything I've read, those countries seem like great places to live, but after living near the arctic circle in Alaska for 2 years, I'll never do that to myself again, ha-ha.

The akiya I've had my eye on for a while is in Saitama, which my girlfriend says is known for being hotter and more humid than Tokyo. Is that true?

LeeB

Post by LeeB »

"but after living near the arctic circle in Alaska for 2 years, I'll never do that to myself again, ha-ha."

Try living in North Dakota for 18 years.......................

A normal winter only get down to -35C, a cold one hits -40C and that is the temp. Wind chill is much lower.