Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:12 pm
10 years would be nice, depends on the cats though and if they keep climbing on top of it. Maybe patching it up with that polytunnel tape extends its lifespan.
The repair tape certainly helps as it stops little holes tearing into much larger one. It also depends on what material the sheet is made from, vinyl splits much easier than PO in cold conditions. You can also keep a hose nearby and once the cats associate getting a shower when they are up there it will temper their enthusiasm for climbing on top of your tunnels :lol:

Shizuman

Chickens !!!!

Post by Shizuman »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:12 pm
10 years would be nice, depends on the cats though and if they keep climbing on top of it. Maybe patching it up with that polytunnel tape extends its lifespan.
Do you plan to clean it to keep the algae off it?

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

As much as I can with the squeegee thing I have, that's actually reminded me to clean the older one as it's got a bit of build up on it.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We clean our polytunnels by tying string to each end of an old sheet and then with one person on either side of the tunnel you pull the sheet back and forth gradually dragging it down the length of the tunnel. It helps if it's raining or you use a hose to wet down the tunnel and algae.

Shizuman

Chickens !!!!

Post by Shizuman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:58 pm
We clean our polytunnels by tying string to each end of an old sheet and then with one person on either side of the tunnel you pull the sheet back and forth gradually dragging it down the length of the tunnel. It helps if it's raining or you use a hose to wet down the tunnel and algae.
Oh thats an awesome idea, my old house is only 2 years old and no dirt as yet but will enlist the wife for that job!

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

It's that time of year again, hopefully we don't loose as many as we did last year but who knows.
I should find a better material for the inner wall to make a nicer curve so they don't squash each other.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

They are so cute when they are that age, I kind of miss no longer getting really young chicks in.

Hopefully this year you won't lose any but don't worry if you do, it's all a learning experience and young chickens aren't easy to keep alive.

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Yeah they're mega cute.
The worst thing about having chicks is doing that first check in the morning to see if any died or not.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It might sound a bit morbid but if there is one thing young chicks are good at it is dying. I have no idea why but they do seem rather good at it.

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

So far so good they're all alive, and compared to last year they are spread about in the bedroom section as opposed to huddling up and killing each other so we must be doing something right this time.....for now.