Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

How are they recording the scope for the shots?
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

since it's digital, it may record itself, otherwise scope-specific cameras exist so he may be using something like that.

Tora

Post by Tora »

KumamotoHunter wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:16 pm
I speared a boar I had trapped in a cage last year. Use wooden branches or poles to block off the cage until you have the animal in a small space. Get the boar to rear up at you by dangling your hands above the cage. You can then get a quick, clean, killing thrust. I wouldn't want to do it again though. Much prefer gun hunting.
Thank you for sharing that. I’d been considering the same thing and it’s good to know it works. I watched a couple YouTube vids where the hunter speared a boar in a leg trap with a spear. Seemed like it required getting the legs or snout under control and getting at the heart from the side behind the front leg.

I actually worked out how to make a Gonbechan Gus with some gas pipe I gave laying around and springs but it seems like they gave rather thick skulls- like most of the men in my family. How hard/thick are their skulls? Shooting them would probably be much easier and humane(?).

I sure hope there are no vegans or PETA members reading this....

Tora

Post by Tora »

Update on the boar trap:

I ended up building that trap for my neighbor. It ended up costing almost ¥28,000 for parts and taking 3 half days and more beer than I got up front. I ran out of beer on the second day and couldn’t seem to get the guy to bring more over so I was holding out for more and waiting for parts to arrive from Monotaro when the old guy shows up and started going on about how the boars tore up a couple people’s taro patches over yonder. At that very moment the delivery driver shows up with my parts and I gave up my hammock and book in the cool house (I’d just gotten my Covid shot and was taking the opportunity to relax for a change) for an afternoon in my hot workshop. Finished the trap up and it looks like it should work.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
One of the local good old boys and I signed up for the next trappers education class but have yet to find out if we’ll get a seat in the class as they’re only taking half as many people as usual due to Covid restrictions. I suppose it’s a little early to start looking at sausage makers and sausage/bacon recipes?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

its never too early for sausage planning.

I am atm looking for a good Italian sausage recipe. Not for casing but for using on pizza because it seems there is a world wide shortage of the stuff and home made pizza tastes so much better with it.

I shall post my adventures in case you catch a big fat boar.

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:08 am
its never too early for sausage planning.

I am atm looking for a good Italian sausage recipe. Not for casing but for using on pizza because it seems there is a world wide shortage of the stuff and home made pizza tastes so much better with it.

I shall post my adventures in case you catch a big fat boar.
Pencil and recipe book are on standby!