How did you obtain rights to buy and use farmland from your local agricultural committee? What city did you do this in?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
ConnorCM371

How did you obtain rights to buy and use farmland from your local agricultural committee? What city did you do this in?

Post by ConnorCM371 »

I am a wannabe small farmer that is hoping to purchase farmland in Japan and was wondering a few things I'd need to know before looking at where to buy:

1) How does a foreigner with no visa convince the agricultural committee to let them use land attached to their house or rent land? What was the process you had to go through?

2) If you managed to get permissions, what city is it that let you buy/rent the land?

Thank you all for your help and guidance!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Firstly welcome to the forum and thank you for signing up.

You are going to need to sort out your visa first, you can buy a house and land as a resident in another country but you won't be able to work here without the correct visa or live here permanently.

Once you've sorted that out you can then move on to acquiring land. To buy registered farmland you need to be registered as a farmer, that can be as easy as renting 1500 tsubo (size may vary in different areas) which qualifies you as a farmer and enables you to register then buy agricultural land or it can be nearly impossible if an area is not interested in attracting newcomers. You could also buy "Sanrin" (mountain and forest land) and use that as farmland, anyone can buy sanrin, you don't need to be a registered farmer. I personally prefer sanrin to registered farmland as I don't have to get involved in any of the agricultural bureaucracy and am free to do whatever we want.

Different cities/municipalities have different conditions/attitudes, some will welcome newcomers with open arms and assist you settling into the area and may offer grants, others will not give any help at all and may even throw up barriers. The only way to tell is by contacting the agricultural departments in areas you are interested in and sounding them out. That's what we did and discovered which cities in our area were friendly and which areas to cross off the list. Unfortunately all the friendly/helpful staff at our local agricultural department have now been moved to different municipal departments and the current lot are all inexperienced youngsters who don't seem to know what they are doing. This is a common practice in the Japanese civil service, people stay in each department for about 3 years and then get moved on to something completely different, that doesn't seem to make sense.

ConnorCM371

Post by ConnorCM371 »

Hello, thank you for the welcome and very informative reply!

I'm curious what type of visa you had when you got started...did you just work a regular job for 5 years until you could apply for citizenship? Or do you do different work part time to keep a work visa and farm as a side job? I know marriage is a common option too, but I'm choosing not to count on that for concrete plans.

Thank you again for your advice!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

No worries, you're welcome.

I came in on a spouse visa, it's a pretty easygoing visa in terms of what work you are allowed to do. We started looking for land as soon as we arrived and rented a plot of land to learn farming on whilst finding and buying our current location.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Residency (via various types of residence permission commonly referred to as visa) and citizenship are completely different things. Even if you are here for 5 years on some sort of working visa, it won't mean you will be accepted for permanent residency and it certainly won't translate to citizenship. The Japanese government is making some steps to make long-term residency easier, but that seems to largely apply to people doing work in high end professional fields, not small time farmers.

Sorry if it sounds negative, I don't mean it that way, just trying to give you some brief but straight info.