Rain water collection system basics

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Ibaraki llama

Re: Rain water collection system basics

Post by Ibaraki llama » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Have also been researching this without much progress. I'd like to use for watering the garden. Also thinking of putting a sprinkler system in.

In terms of tanks you can get 500L tanks (not specifically for rainwater but would serve the same purpose I think) from DIY stores, not sure about 1000L ones. Otherwise might have to import from Australia or somewhere (they have some nice 1000L slim line ones designed for residential housing). I haven't seen a wide range of pumps in Japan, but I've been looking at ordering from the US.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 am

Zaimondos wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm
I haven't seen a wide range of pumps in Japan, but I've been looking at ordering from the US.
Monotaro have you covered there. Personally I'd go with an electric pump rather than petrol driven, way more convenient and don't have to worry about running the petrol tank dry every time you use it (to avoid water building up in the fuel and rusting the engine). Looking through that list the Jet Mate is specifically design for watering applications but there are other choices.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 am

Great, thanks.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am

farmingnoob wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:27 am
With yesterday's relentless rain, I started thinking maybe I should be harvesting this free water for use in the garden.
Quick question for you and @Zaimondos, are you guys on the municipal water supply or are you using wells ?

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 am

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am
Quick question for you and @Zaimondos, are you guys on the municipal water supply or are you using wells ?
We’re connected to the mains water. I was wondering if there was a well on the property but haven’t been able to find one so far.

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 am

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am
Municipal water

LeeB

Post by LeeB » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:25 pm

Wow - some of those tanks are really expensive!!!

I've heard that the cost of water in Japan has soared over the years. Same here in Melbourne. We are paying A$2.44 for 1000 liters of water for the first stage of use and then it moves to A$3.11. Ten years ago the price was $A1.00 per 1000 liters.

Add on the service fee and sewerage fees to that as well.

But the worst part of the water bill here is the extra 'addons'. Fees for drainage, parks and waterways..........Nothing to do with the actual usage of water. Governments tack on these extra fees to fund other programs because they can.

I remember getting one bill where we used only $A20 of water and the bill was over A$300!!!

Years ago we thought about putting in a rain water tank, but even with the rebates it wasn't worth it. In order to get the rebate you had to have the tank put in by a plumber which would have added a lot to the cost and then they didn't give you the rebate as cash, but as a deduction off your water bill spread over a number of years!!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:17 am

Zaimondos wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 am
We’re connected to the mains water. I was wondering if there was a well on the property but haven’t been able to find one so far.
You still might stumble across one at some point in the future whilst clearing your land, although they tend to be quite close to the house to save on pipework.
farmingnoob wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 am
Municipal water
I had kind of been thinking if you both had wells then you could just use the ground as your rain storage tank.
LeeB wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:25 pm
I've heard that the cost of water in Japan has soared over the years.
Depends where you are, we have two wells on our land and only pay for the electricity to pump the water out and the other advantage is the taste. It's like drinking fresh spring water every single day, no added chlorine, flouride or any other funny chemicals and as we are on a hill surrounded by forest there is no worry about agro chemicals getting into the water.

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:10 pm

gonbechan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 pm
That should keep you busy for a while.
Gonbechan thanks for the links.

So I found a tank that I want. It's the スイコー ホームローリータンク 500L because they're pretty cheap and come in black (good for blocking out light I assume).

Unfortunately, all the online retailers drop ship it from the manufacturer and they don't ship to homes :mad:

Does anyone have any idea what I can dp? At the local home centers I've only seen the fancy, expensive tanks that cost 5 times as much as this one.