Custom signage 猛犬注意

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Wolfsong013

Custom signage 猛犬注意

Post by Wolfsong013 »

Hello everyone. I hope this is in the right catagory

We are moving from the country into the city. We have a company building the dog zone for our new house, with poured concrete and 2.8 meter fencing. But I would like to have some signage around the property warning about an aggressive dog.

I would like to make up some signs that will hold up against UV and that are A4 size or larger. All the signage I've found has been tiny, and I would to make something that's easy to see (so people wont wander toward the dog zone). His area is tucked back. so I would like to make a warning so people wont get near his area.

I made a sign before through a local company, but the UV destroyed it in under 6 months. I was hoping to find an online shop that might be able to fabricate something that would stand up a little better.

Photo of the monster himself

I really want to have good signage, since he has only known country life.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Custom signage 猛犬注意

Post by Zasso Nouka »

He looks so cute, specially looking out of his house waiting for the rain to stop and I think that's something we'd all like, it has been raining here for a week now. My boots are going mouldy and I think I might be developing trench foot :(

Quick Sign might be able to produce what you would like, can't speak for their longevity but would imagine the ones intended for outdoor use should last a while.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Printed vinyl signs will probably fade faster than ones with the lettering cut from a sheet of vinyl no matter what the substrate. The printed vinyl seems to be quite popular here in Japan but we shied away from it for this reason when I was the GIMP at the Ashland sign shop years ago.

Find a sign shop and tell them your worries and what you need. They might be able to get you what you need. They might also try to sell you something you don’t too....

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Give that doggy a pet from me.
Also it's nice to see a doghouse that's big for a change, all the ones I've seen seem too small for the actual dogs.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:05 am
Give that doggy a pet from me.
Also it's nice to see a doghouse that's big for a change, all the ones I've seen seem too small for the actual dogs.
Thanks! I noticed that doghouses here are universally tiny. The largest ones I could find were fitting for a Shiba at best, and outlandishly expensive. I endes up building this one for a little over the cost of buying one at a pet shop. It gets windy here, so I wanted the door to be off center to block the wind, as well as windows to open and close during heat, rain or snow.

The total cost was shy of 5万円, with the biggest expense being the roof. I built it with actual housing materials which increased the cost.

He truly is spoiled.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Beautiful hound!

What's your budget for the signage? We had color signs printed for our restaurant- roadside and parking- the color is fast after three years. I don't have the name right now, but if you're still looking, I'll get the name of the signmaker from my husband.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

donguri wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:26 pm
Beautiful hound!

What's your budget for the signage? We had color signs printed for our restaurant- roadside and parking- the color is fast after three years. I don't have the name right now, but if you're still looking, I'll get the name of the signmaker from my husband.
Thank you!
I was hoping for 5000 yen or so for something simple (like yellow with red writing), around A4 size or so. But since I'm not sure of how much signage goes for, I'm flexible on budget to an extent.

donguri

Post by donguri »

I've checked with the Mr and it seems the signmaker we used is somewhat of a "locals only" kind of old timer. No website, no online presence, no shopfront and on the expensive side. Sorry, I jumped the gun, nothing further to report.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

Update: I called around to find a custom sign, but most started around 10,000 for an A-4 size sign. I decided to make one with some scrap wood, acrylic paint, and outdoor varnish.

Here's the finished result

Total cost was 1400 yen, and it looks nice, even if I do say so myself!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Awesome sign @Wolfsong013, it looks way better than a plastic/acrylic sign. Am personally a big fan of homemade artifacts and your's looks great.