Wild Boar Damage Control

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Wild Boar Damage Control

Post by Zasso Nouka »

mulch up wrote:Or befriend a local hunting group - they should be licensed and you'll be knee deep in inoshishi burgers!
I remember a post by Ian on another forum where I think he said you can trap boar and such like but have to inform the local council and post signs, could be wrong perhaps he can confirm that.
Eric in Japan wrote:Yep, did that. Just worried a bit about Cesium in the boars here in North Ibaraki... That is why the problem is getting so much worse around here. A lot of hunters just gave up because they couldn't use the meat. Though come March the count should be 1/2 as much as just after the disasters.
Have you had your veg tested ? Might seem a bit extreme but we bought a little handheld Geiger counter after Daiichi blew up and still now test around our land every now and then. It's probably unnecessary but does give you peace of mind. Obviously no where near as accurate as proper laboratory testing but we figured if the soil gives normal readings then things growing there should probably be ok.
BrettRas wrote:Yes, a reactor in Kagoshima was restarted this summer.
I'd have thought with all the Mega Solar projects going in around the country there'd be a surfeit of power and nuclear could be slowly phased out. It seems around these parts that every bit of abandoned land now has solar panels covering it. Yes I know the decision to restart reactors is a political one with the current administration being strongly pro nuclear but even so. Lets hope it doesn't take another disaster to finally turn the leaders away from nuclear.

CYEK

Post by CYEK »

We have some close friends that come from near the disaster area. They can never get any true answers about if they can ever return or if the area will ever be safe again. When you look at the map of the red no go no return area it is very sad. Also interesting how the govt change the radiation safety level to allow some to return especially in some of the orange areas.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
I remember a post by Ian on another forum where I think he said you can trap boar and such like but have to inform the local council and post signs, could be wrong perhaps he can confirm that.
The way I understand it is that it falls under the pest control laws, but only on your own property. Went to a deer hunting seminar last year and I asked the main speaker from Hyogo prefecture government a direct question i.e. if a license is required for trapping on my own property. He hesitated and didn't answer that the first time so I asked again. And his answer was you don't need a license to trap on your own property if you first notify the local town office. I haven't done that yet, but might test it out and see what kind of result we get.
We know licensed trappers so will bring them in again this year, mainly for deer.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks for the confirmation Ian,

I think it's something we'll all have to look into eventually with the increasing numbers of deer and inoshishi. Hunting is all very well but given the season only runs for a few months you need something for year round control and trapping fits that perfectly. As Gonbechan can attest we have a persistent problem with takenoko disappearing in the spring before we can get to them :x

Would love to know how you get on with the trapping if you do get some licensed folk in and should you ever find yourself with too much deer on your hands you can always send some up with the next barge of rocks :lol: