Leather, Synthetic, or Cotton? Best work glove for the money?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Eric in Japan

Leather, Synthetic, or Cotton? Best work glove for the money?

Post by Eric in Japan »

Leather hard, synthetic wear out so easy, and cotton... well, it is cheap.

What is your favorite work glove?
I have used cotton gun-te for years because they are so cheap. That is about all I can say about them.
The synthetic gloves are so supple- like a second skin... but not nearly as durable as my own skin...
Leather gloves- expensive and long lasting, but often stiff and clumsy. And many choices, pig, deer, cow, "other"

Do you have a favorite?

Also, I recently bought a pair of middle of the road steer leather work gloves. Any advice on how to condition them to make them last longer?
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

paradoxbox

Re: Leather, Synthetic, or Cotton? Best work glove for the money?

Post by paradoxbox »

I have a pair of leather roofing gloves from a company called IKO in canada, they're lined on the inside with some kind of fake fur. Man those gloves are awesome. I have abused the hell out of them for over 15 years but they still keep going. Sure hope they don't give out on me any time soon as I don't think they're made anymore..
I found something that looks similar on amzon US but can't vouch for the quality. But as someone who makes lots of leather goods by hand, these gloves look like they will last a very long time even if you abuse them. Only weak points are the tops of the fingers. Did read some amazon reviews that truckers wore through them but they're lifting sharp hitch equipment that weighs 100+ kg, they should be using kevlar gloves or something more indestructable.

Leather is definitely the best I think. Thick leather with a lining. You can work on brutal projects all day, handle firey sticks, hot metal rods, etc. without fear of burning your hands. You can wash them and as long as you don't dry them too quickly they will be just fine.

If you are doing lighter duty jobs, neoprene work gloves are awesome. But they can tear if hooked on nails and other sharp metal edges, where thick leather would probably just slide over it.

Cotton work gloves are useless for all but the lightest gardening IMO. Use cotton gloves if you're driving somebody around in the back seat of your car, otherwise wouldn't bother with them. They also reduce your grip unlike leather and neoprene, a distinct disadvantage.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I've got several pairs of these Dickies Work Gloves for tough jobs. They aren't very supple to start off with but after a year or so become quite good and they are as tough as nails, don't think they would stop a chainsaw but apart from that they should keep your fingers safe from most everything else and they have a lifetime guarantee.

For more delicate work the synthetic gloves are always a good option and allow you to feel what you are doing but they tend to be a lot more disposable being so much thinner. Got some great ones from Mega Donki last time we were there that seem to be lasting well. Will try and find the brand name.

e2a:

Penguinace are the ones from Mega Donki

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I've been using these gloves for a while now and they seem quite good.

As they are made from synthetic leather you can wash them whenever you need. The back is mesh so your hands breathe and don't get overly sweaty. They aren't good for fine detailed work and I wouldn't use them for chainsawing but as a general purpose glove they are quite good.

Currently Joyful Honda has them in stock.