Need help to kill bamboo

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
iamsen

Need help to kill bamboo

Post by iamsen »

There's this particular shoot that's growing alongside a disused water pipe inside my house. It's all concrete below this so I don't know where its roots actually are.

I kept pulling it out and it finally stopped growing about a month ago so I thought it had given up. But last week, I found it growing again.

How should I get rid of this?

Try sealing the hole with sealant or concrete?
Use weed killer?
I bought some round up hi road earlier if it helps.
I was just about to seal up this side of the wall this weekend :(

Flockaducks

Re: Need help to kill bamboo

Post by Flockaducks »

Is the round up concentrate or already mixed?
im sure others are much better suited to help but ill throw in my 2 cents, i used to kill blackberriesd back in Aus and they are a bastard with big Rhizomes, i think bamboo is the same, if you can find a root and cut it a quickly dab on round up concentrate you might kill it, but if like some plants like blackberries the can compartmentalise themselves that might be a temporary fix, if not roundup usually travels through the plant. the cut and paste method is pretty good, but again this i regarding other species. If its a spray type which is pre mixed i would think it probably wouldnt do the trick but again im basing this on my knowledge of blackberry canes.

Having said that if youve got it then hey give it a shot.
when applying any herbicide its always best to do it when plants are actively growing especially round up as acts like a nutrient in the plant before killing it.
Another thing you could do is try to find the rhizomes (roots that sprout new plants) that are feeding that plant, they might have broken in from somewhere outside.

there ya go my 2 cents
id love to hear how you go mate

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I've never tried this myself but I've heard from a neighbour that to kill bamboo with roundup you need to cut a hollow section of bamboo open and fill it up with weed killer so that it is absorbed into the plant and keep the section topped up until the plant is dead.

However I've seen an Ojiisan kill a whole stand of bamboo using some kind of granules he sprinkled on the ground, not sure what it was he used but the stand of mosodake is now completely dead. Having said that he isn't very popular with the neighbouring houses now as everyone here uses wells for drinking water and they aren't too happy that whatever he used may go into their wells. I can't easily ask him what he used as he's a bit weird but you might be able to ask the staff at your nearest home centre.

Best of luck :thumbup:

Bessou Man

Post by Bessou Man »

Just to back up Zassou Nouka suggestion. Extracted from a rather in depth post on the subject.

Specifies Roundup hi-load. But also says you can get results from kerosene..
Cut 30cm above ground. Keep the exposure covered with gum tap when not topping up. And do this between July and August.

http://www.lifexyz.com/toti/takene/

I'll be trying this next year..

Article also mentions roots can go as low as one metre...

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's a great link for killing bamboo Bessou Man, thanks for posting :thumbup: