Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
starting_the_dream

Re: Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by starting_the_dream »

Have you had any luck this year? I know in our area the boars have been ripping the fields up pretty good. The fences don't seem to be doing much...

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

I have actually given up my guns since I don't go hunting as often as I used to. I am now looking into getting a trapping license. I always have boar and deer on my land. If I do go gun hunting these days, it's with other foreign friends with guns.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:33 pm
This is probably a stuid question but are we looking at N2/N1 level of Japanese as far as doing the tests etc?
N2 would be more the difficulty.
N1 stuff is not really encountered in daily life so much.
Remember, the average dude taking this test is a farmer who probably didn't even graduate high school!
Don't worry about the difficulty too much.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

KumamotoHunter wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:25 pm
I have actually given up my guns since I don't go hunting as often as I used to. I am now looking into getting a trapping license. I always have boar and deer on my land. If I do go gun hunting these days, it's with other foreign friends with guns.
Do you have to give up your license and hand in your guns or is it more of a personal choice to just not use them so much ?

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:57 am
KumamotoHunter wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:25 pm
Do you have to give up your license and hand in your guns or is it more of a personal choice to just not use them so much ?
I had to hand back my guns to the police to be destroyed.
If you don't renew your license, you forfeit your guns.
My gun wasn't worth anything to my gun shop, so I couldn't even sell it back to them.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's a real shame man. How difficult is it to get a trapping license ? We might need to look into it at some point in the future as currently we don't have any boars but they have been sighted not too far from us.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:18 am
That's a real shame man. How difficult is it to get a trapping license ? We might need to look into it at some point in the future as currently we don't have any boars but they have been sighted not too far from us.
Well, since I've already been through the gun law exam and hunting exam, I don't anticipate it being much of a hurdle. I'll just need to brush up on some of the kanji and laws. I know during the course before the trapping exam, they teach you how to safely make different traps/snares. I think in the actual exam, you have to demonstrate that you can safely make and disarm various traps/snares.
Rest assured it's nothing too cerebral. Most of the guys going for this type of license are poor farmers who probably didn't even graduate high-school.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with the course when you start it as I'm sure we will need to do something similar in the future.

A friend of ours who hunts went out with a friend of his who traps to check some of his locations and said it was absolutely brutal when his mate caught an inoshishi. He isn't sentimental about the creatures in any way but found it hard going subduing the one that his mate caught.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Eric in Japan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:50 pm
Well, I finally did it and became the newest licenced trapper in Ibaraki.
Now I just need a "1.5m green Kashi tree trunk" and I will be all set come Autumn.
So, a little over a year on, what is your experience as a trapper so far? Do you have a closet full of coonskin caps? Freezer full of ham, bacon, sausage????

Seriously though, I’ve been thinking about getting a trapping license to deal with the family of boars that have moved into our immediate neighborhood and proceeded to make a mess of everything. We’re in a very rural area of a small city and it seems the city office doesn’t want to deal with boars unless they’re running around housing developments, schools and so on. So, more DIY for me?!

So I had some questions and possible misconceptions I think some people on here might know the answer to. For now I would be trapping only on our land or long unused or abandoned land immediately adjacent to our place.

If I get a license, do I have to pay a yearly ¥5800 (?) hunting tax/license?

Do I actually need a license if it is on my property? After going over the online literature with a highly literate friend, I came away with this impression.

Would my terrible written Japanese be a severe hurdle in getting a license? I looked at the sample test questions Eric put up and I am fine with that level of reading. I’ve just never been great at the written aspect and then I discovered I could rely on the autoselect function of my smartphone and computer to bring up characters and now I never have to think (about how to write them).

There is a stipend to cover the cost of the license and certification but it seems like I’d have to go trap animals (and check traps daily!) whenever someone called me up with a request for the next 3 years. So, it seems like that is a trap in and of itself and one id like to avoid. Especially since there doesn’t seem to be a bounty in our area. And I really don’t need any more underpaying, time consuming activities right now- I already seem to have too many....

Is there a preferred kind of trap for taking boars? Leg snare? Cage? Guillotine?

The local neighborhood leader (a farmer) said he was looking for and/or ordering a cage trap but said it would be ¥200,000 or more to have one made. REALLY?! That seems like a lot of money if it’s anything like the ones I’ve seen so far.

Other things to consider?

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

@Tora, Test is easy. Iam pretty sure it was all multiple choice. Everything is common sense. I couldn't really fully read the questions but from the answer you knew what they were getting at. There is a section on animal identification, I don't think you can get any of those wrong. When I took my test, I took a training course before it and the instructor pretty much told us which questions would be on the test. There's an eye test and you have to properly set a trap infront of the instructor, don't forget to put the tag with all your information on top of the trap!

You MUST have a license to set a trap AND you need to be registered with the town office where you plan to set a trap on your own property. If you want set a trap on property that is NOT yours you need more paper from the owner of this property and town office.

All traps Must be live traps! You will learn all this in the course.

It is too bad your town isn't really helpful. Have you tried contacting your prefectural wildlife section for support?

Now, for the bad news, by you getting a trapping license and trapping maybe 2 or 3 board a year will have no effect on the damage around your place.

I took a seminar 3 years ago that changed the way I manage wildlife damage. First, thing we learnt is YOU are the problem for making your area so attractive to the wildlife. Ex. Food sources and hiding places all year round. This instructor who is from Shimane prefecture and who is sometimes on TV, had some pretty good advice to start with.

1. Cut down any kaki or chestnut trees in the area, these are favorite food sources in the fall, winter
2. Don't cut your grass after September 15, this allows winter grasses to grew and is harder for board to dig into
3. If possible turn off outside lights around home, these lights attract moths and insects whom then lay eggs in surrounding soil and is an absolute great feeding spot for wildlife.
4. Clear brush around damaged land, eliminate their hiding spots
5. Fence it off, best fence and in my own experience is a mesh fence with metal sheeting, boars won't go into a place where they can see the other side. I have used this type of fence around my land with 100percent success for 4years.

Tora, what is the description of the area these boars are damaging? Is fencening off the area an option?