Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
starting_the_dream

Re: Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by starting_the_dream »

Have you had any luck this year? I know in our area the boars have been ripping the fields up pretty good. The fences don't seem to be doing much...

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

I have actually given up my guns since I don't go hunting as often as I used to. I am now looking into getting a trapping license. I always have boar and deer on my land. If I do go gun hunting these days, it's with other foreign friends with guns.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:33 pm
This is probably a stuid question but are we looking at N2/N1 level of Japanese as far as doing the tests etc?
N2 would be more the difficulty.
N1 stuff is not really encountered in daily life so much.
Remember, the average dude taking this test is a farmer who probably didn't even graduate high school!
Don't worry about the difficulty too much.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

KumamotoHunter wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:25 pm
I have actually given up my guns since I don't go hunting as often as I used to. I am now looking into getting a trapping license. I always have boar and deer on my land. If I do go gun hunting these days, it's with other foreign friends with guns.
Do you have to give up your license and hand in your guns or is it more of a personal choice to just not use them so much ?

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:57 am
KumamotoHunter wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:25 pm
Do you have to give up your license and hand in your guns or is it more of a personal choice to just not use them so much ?
I had to hand back my guns to the police to be destroyed.
If you don't renew your license, you forfeit your guns.
My gun wasn't worth anything to my gun shop, so I couldn't even sell it back to them.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's a real shame man. How difficult is it to get a trapping license ? We might need to look into it at some point in the future as currently we don't have any boars but they have been sighted not too far from us.

KumamotoHunter

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:18 am
That's a real shame man. How difficult is it to get a trapping license ? We might need to look into it at some point in the future as currently we don't have any boars but they have been sighted not too far from us.
Well, since I've already been through the gun law exam and hunting exam, I don't anticipate it being much of a hurdle. I'll just need to brush up on some of the kanji and laws. I know during the course before the trapping exam, they teach you how to safely make different traps/snares. I think in the actual exam, you have to demonstrate that you can safely make and disarm various traps/snares.
Rest assured it's nothing too cerebral. Most of the guys going for this type of license are poor farmers who probably didn't even graduate high-school.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with the course when you start it as I'm sure we will need to do something similar in the future.

A friend of ours who hunts went out with a friend of his who traps to check some of his locations and said it was absolutely brutal when his mate caught an inoshishi. He isn't sentimental about the creatures in any way but found it hard going subduing the one that his mate caught.