Tech Support

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You can get leg snare type traps from Wanazo

Tora

Post by Tora »

Thanks Chuck!

Apparently the city and prefectural government only step in if people are being attacked or in danger of such. We have a friend with insider connections asking about but we’re not expecting much.

The neighbors said there haven’t been boars around for a long time. It seems to be one family at this point but they seem to have taken up residence next to or around our place....

We have lots of Kuri and Kaki around here. Like, a forest of big chestnut trees on the adjacent property and many Kaki on ours. Maybe that’s a good place to trap them :D

We have forest, bamboo, long untended land plots around us with a small muddy bottomed stream on one side of our property and a river 2-300m away. Perfect for boars!!

I went out and started cutting trees and large weeds overhanging the banks of the stream and found lots of tracks and what looks like a place they bedded down. It’s been untended for a looong time and is a real mess.

I’m guessing the boars do not like to be in areas where they can be seen so I’m trying to clear things out and remove any places they might feel safe or cool.

I put up a fence around our garden but not sure if I’m ready to invest in a lot of metal and mesh. I may see if I can recycle some out of some abandoned buildings ready to be torn down.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:19 am
You can get leg snare type traps from Wanazo
Thanks Zasso!
I found some on Rakuten too.
Might need to look for a sausage maker too!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

The cage type traps are way easier to use though as the boar is relatively confined whereas with leg snares you've got to get in there up close and personal and literally club the poor f*cker to death and without a firearm inoshishi are incredibly tough little hombres that will resist right up until the last moment. To be honest, when I went out with a friend to check his traps I ended up feeling really sorry for the inoshishi at the end as it wasn't a clean kill but once she was turned into sausages she really did taste good so that might help.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

*cough*

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:56 pm
*cough*

I knew I should’ve bought a battery powered nail gun instead of a pneumatic one!!!
Slaughterhouses in the next town used a thing like that to put down cow when I lived in the US.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Tora wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 pm

I knew I should’ve bought a battery powered nail gun instead of a pneumatic one!!!
Slaughterhouses in the next town used a thing like that to put down cow when I lived in the US.
At last a convert. I have been trying to tell this squeamish bunch for years that this is the way to go, instead they whine away that they are adverse to trapping because of the Lord of the Flies killing methods that would be necessary.
I reckon you can use your pneumatic one if you have a portable compressor which can be jerry rigged from an old propane gas tank. (I have used that for airbrushing and it works fine.)

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:49 pm
The cage type traps are way easier to use though as the boar is relatively confined whereas with leg snares you've got to get in there up close and personal and literally club the poor f*cker to death and without a firearm inoshishi are incredibly tough little hombres that will resist right up until the last moment. To be honest, when I went out with a friend to check his traps I ended up feeling really sorry for the inoshishi at the end as it wasn't a clean kill but once she was turned into sausages she really did taste good so that might help.
It seems one of the neighbors was talking about ordering a cage type trap but said they’re ¥200,000 or more. Seems a bit steep. There’s gotta be a better way to do away with a boar than clubbing the poor beast to death.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Tora,
Sounds like a great place for boars to hang out.

Here is a link for a diy cage, go to this website and download The pdf. I'm sure this will cost way less than 200000yen and no welding involved.

https://www.pref.shimane.lg.jp/admin/re ... owana.html

Tora

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:33 am
Tora,
Sounds like a great place for boars to hang out.

Here is a link for a diy cage, go to this website and download The pdf. I'm sure this will cost way less than 200000yen and no welding involved.

https://www.pref.shimane.lg.jp/admin/re ... owana.html
Thank you Chuck! I’ve been trying to think of a way to make a trap that would withstand a panicked boar. I’m guessing that design has been tried and tested.

It sounds like some of the other neighbors are motivating to take action. I’ll try to coordinate with them and see if we can bring peace back to our little corner of the galaxy.

One thing about living in Inaka, there never seems to be a dull moment. Always something to do, fix, or wonder about!