Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

How are they recording the scope for the shots?
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

since it's digital, it may record itself, otherwise scope-specific cameras exist so he may be using something like that.

Tora

Post by Tora »

KumamotoHunter wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:16 pm
I speared a boar I had trapped in a cage last year. Use wooden branches or poles to block off the cage until you have the animal in a small space. Get the boar to rear up at you by dangling your hands above the cage. You can then get a quick, clean, killing thrust. I wouldn't want to do it again though. Much prefer gun hunting.
Thank you for sharing that. I’d been considering the same thing and it’s good to know it works. I watched a couple YouTube vids where the hunter speared a boar in a leg trap with a spear. Seemed like it required getting the legs or snout under control and getting at the heart from the side behind the front leg.

I actually worked out how to make a Gonbechan Gus with some gas pipe I gave laying around and springs but it seems like they gave rather thick skulls- like most of the men in my family. How hard/thick are their skulls? Shooting them would probably be much easier and humane(?).

I sure hope there are no vegans or PETA members reading this....

Tora

Post by Tora »

Update on the boar trap:

I ended up building that trap for my neighbor. It ended up costing almost ¥28,000 for parts and taking 3 half days and more beer than I got up front. I ran out of beer on the second day and couldn’t seem to get the guy to bring more over so I was holding out for more and waiting for parts to arrive from Monotaro when the old guy shows up and started going on about how the boars tore up a couple people’s taro patches over yonder. At that very moment the delivery driver shows up with my parts and I gave up my hammock and book in the cool house (I’d just gotten my Covid shot and was taking the opportunity to relax for a change) for an afternoon in my hot workshop. Finished the trap up and it looks like it should work.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
One of the local good old boys and I signed up for the next trappers education class but have yet to find out if we’ll get a seat in the class as they’re only taking half as many people as usual due to Covid restrictions. I suppose it’s a little early to start looking at sausage makers and sausage/bacon recipes?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

its never too early for sausage planning.

I am atm looking for a good Italian sausage recipe. Not for casing but for using on pizza because it seems there is a world wide shortage of the stuff and home made pizza tastes so much better with it.

I shall post my adventures in case you catch a big fat boar.

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:08 am
its never too early for sausage planning.

I am atm looking for a good Italian sausage recipe. Not for casing but for using on pizza because it seems there is a world wide shortage of the stuff and home made pizza tastes so much better with it.

I shall post my adventures in case you catch a big fat boar.
Pencil and recipe book are on standby!

Tora

Post by Tora »

So I passed the test to get my trapping license. I’m now standing with my jaw dropped at the ¥19,000+ I have to pay for tax and insurance to set traps on our land to remove animals causing damage to my and my neighbors’ land and crops. I’m not a farmer so I can’t claim any of this as expenditures. REALLY?!!! :shock:

No wonder there is a significant drop in hunters in Japan nowadays.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Can*t you ask your neighbours to chip in?
I know I would blatantly just trot on over and ask for bit towards protecting their land..
its not like you would be asking for a monthly envelope... its for a whole year right?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:53 pm
So I passed the test to get my trapping license. I’m now standing with my jaw dropped at the ¥19,000+ I have to pay for tax and insurance to set traps on our land to remove animals causing damage to my and my neighbors’ land and crops. I’m not a farmer so I can’t claim any of this as expenditures. REALLY?!!! :shock:

Fuuuck is that yearly?

How much was the trapping course and test by the way?
Was it easy to do?
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:42 pm
Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:53 pm

Fuuuck is that yearly?

How much was the trapping course and test by the way?
Was it easy to do?
Yes. That’s yearly. Friggin ridiculous!

It wasn’t too hard. I passed with a 85-90% and I’m only literate when I’m interested. All the questions about laws and which bureau is in charge some of the time gave me a headache. They are good at making simple tings into really difficult questions too. The folks at the office administering the test offer to add hiragana to the text of the test and I didn’t say no even though i prepared and probably could’ve done the test without it.

¥8000+ for the course and ¥5200 for the test.
The course is just a copy of the hunters book and sample test questions which were mostly the same as the ones on the test. The course was one guy saying, “page 53.question 12. Hdhdhehhehdhdjejj jrhrj… REMEMBER THIS. It’s on page 16 in the Orange hunters book. Page 54…..” and another guy holding up drawings of animals and saying,” this a badger. Badger. You can take them, this is a Japanese squirrel. You can’t take them….” If you have a friend who did the course and will give you their copy of the books with the pages and problems circled, you might not need the course but I think you have to retest every 3 years to renew your license so keeping the book around might be a good idea.

I coughed up the cash for a license this year and we’ll see how it goes. I don’t think there are many, if any, bounties to help offset the costs of license fees. If there are bounties in your area, it might be worth the investment.

I’m looking for the cheapest way to make traps as that seems to be another money pit. Then there is a meat processing and a freezer.

Where I grew up, hunting was a way of putting cheap, fresh meat on the table as well as keeping the large animals herds from getting overpopulated.

I now understand why the locals scoff at the idea of getting a license. I’m not isolated or able to pass as a local ossan well enough to even think nobody would single me out for doing something of questionable legitimacy.