Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Tora
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm
Can*t you ask your neighbours to chip in?
I know I would blatantly just trot on over and ask for bit towards protecting their land..
its not like you would be asking for a monthly envelope... its for a whole year right?
I’m on good terms with the head of the local neighborhood association and will pass on that information about costs. He was also planning to get certified but his recent waning enthusiasm might disappear altogether with the mention of cost. Maybe he’ll pass a hat around for me instead of me awkwardly going around to beg.

That being said, a couple neighbors have really gone above and beyond to help me get established here and I figure I could at least chip in a little for the communal good. Not sure how long I’ll continue shelling out ¥20K/year though! Sheesh!

User avatar
DocDoesFarming
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 am
Location: 福島県
Has thanked: 664 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Cheers for the info.

I can't stand courses where the guy is just reading from the book already handed to me at the start.
Makes no sense unless they are adding something extra to it all, but most of the time they aren't and it's incredibly boring but then I guess people learn in different ways so it may help some people.
I have a 3 day chainsaw thing coming up and I ain't looking forward to it.

Hmmmm I mean having the licence is handy if ever you have the ability to make any money from it from the locals but I still can't understand why you shouldn't be able to protect your land without it.
And considering the money you have to fork out doing all this you would need to capture quite a lot in order to recoup your losses let alone make any sort of profit.

Someone mentioned today the decline of rifle owners and that it might be a good idea to get a licence but I don't know if I can go through with the headache of it all.
And the monetary costs.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Tora
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:20 pm
Cheers for the info.

I can't stand courses where the guy is just reading from the book already handed to me at the start.
Makes no sense unless they are adding something extra to it all, but most of the time they aren't and it's incredibly boring but then I guess people learn in different ways so it may help some people.
I have a 3 day chainsaw thing coming up and I ain't looking forward to it.

Hmmmm I mean having the licence is handy if ever you have the ability to make any money from it from the locals but I still can't understand why you shouldn't be able to protect your land without it.
And considering the money you have to fork out doing all this you would need to capture quite a lot in order to recoup your losses let alone make any sort of profit.

Someone mentioned today the decline of rifle owners and that it might be a good idea to get a licence but I don't know if I can go through with the headache of it all.
And the monetary costs.
The course is basically telling you which questions are on the test. Trying to digest the whole book would drive me to drink much more than what I forked out for the course. I studied almost every evening of the week leading up to the test and was pretty confident going in despite being only semi literate. It might’ve been easier if I hadn’t missed a registration date and had to take the test 2 1/2 months after the course instead of one week after.

The wife did an online search and found that you can have someone come in and “remove” problem animals starting at ¥15,000. We are guessing that’s for a weasel or martin or badger with a deer or boar costing more. Ask around. It might be a good source of income. Also, some areas offer bounties of ¥10,000 or more each for deer, boar and sometimes monkeys. It seems like nobody wants to kill monkeys so if one had a sadistic chip on their shoulder or an old score to settle, it could be a therapeutic way to pay the rent. You could also put “bounty hunter” on your business cards and enjoy the reactions you’d likely get. Unfortunately, the hat and vest they gave me are nowhere near the label of Boba Fett or Django Unchained.

What is the purpose of a 3 day chainsaw course?! Does it let you use a chainsaw in public places? Like a backhoe, etc. operator’s license? I bet you could make a killing selling pirate “Sharknado” tshirts under the table at a thing like that 8-)

User avatar
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 4196
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:37 am
Location: Chiba Prefecture
Has thanked: 3661 times
Been thanked: 3009 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:53 pm
So I passed the test to get my trapping license. I’m now standing with my jaw dropped at the ¥19,000+ I have to pay for tax and insurance to set traps on our land to remove animals causing damage to my and my neighbors’ land and crops. I’m not a farmer so I can’t claim any of this as expenditures. REALLY?!!! :shock:

No wonder there is a significant drop in hunters in Japan nowadays.
Man that's horrifically expensive, you'd think they'd be paying you to remove pests from the local area.

User avatar
Chuck2
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:36 am
Has thanked: 255 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Chuck2 »

Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:57 pm
gonbechan wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm
Can*t you ask your neighbours to chip in?
I know I would blatantly just trot on over and ask for bit towards protecting their land..
its not like you would be asking for a monthly envelope... its for a whole year right?
I’m on good terms with the head of the local neighborhood association and will pass on that information about costs. He was also planning to get certified but his recent waning enthusiasm might disappear altogether with the mention of cost. Maybe he’ll pass a hat around for me instead of me awkwardly going around to beg.

That being said, a couple neighbors have really gone above and beyond to help me get established here and I figure I could at least chip in a little for the communal good. Not sure how long I’ll continue shelling out ¥20K/year though! Sheesh!
I wonder if you could get the head of the local association to contact your town office and even your areas elected official and say how much of a problem the boars are causing. Even each individual in your area that has had damage done to their property. Boars are great at reproducing and this problem is going to expand to other areas and so your town better get a handle on it fast.

Do you known if your town has a hunter's association? If so suggest that the town works with them to trap the boars for your area so then you don't need to keep paying these annual fees. This is what my town does. Ask questions why your town can't do the same. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Hope you guys can get the help you need.

User avatar
DocDoesFarming
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 am
Location: 福島県
Has thanked: 664 times
Been thanked: 734 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:54 pm
The course is basically telling you which questions are on the test. Trying to digest the whole book would drive me to drink much more than what I forked out for the course.
That's alright then, probably actually worth going to the course then if it helps actually pass the test instead of him just reading from the book like a soulless robot.
Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:54 pm
You could also put “bounty hunter” on your business cards and enjoy the reactions you’d likely get. Unfortunately, the hat and vest they gave me are nowhere near the label of Boba Fett or Django Unchained.
Was the hat a wig and the vest made from leather?

Image
Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:54 pm
What is the purpose of a 3 day chainsaw course?! Does it let you use a chainsaw in public places? Like a backhoe, etc. operator’s license? I bet you could make a killing selling pirate “Sharknado” tshirts under the table at a thing like that
Or Evil Dead shirts...... hmmmm if only I had a screen printer...

Well after having a moan to my wife about the course and fees I found out that one of the big farmers in my area who wanted me to go started a little business for lumberjacking or whatever the correct term is for that so I presume in order to actually get people to work for him they need a chainsaw licence. Same with using a Kusakariki.
Sounds like he's sorting me out part time work during the very very cold winters here so I guess I shouldn't moan about it too much. Also I might actually learn how to cut down trees safely instead of having branches and shit fall on top of my head making me nearly cut my own leg off.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Tora
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:56 am
Man that's horrifically expensive, you'd think they'd be paying you to remove pests from the local area.
One would think… logically anyways.

The local government isn’t often logical.

The local hunters association wasn’t real helpful when I asked about bounties. Worried about rivals?! I must look like more of a badass bounty hunter than I thought 8-)

Tora
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:53 am
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote: I wonder if you could get the head of the local association to contact your town office and even your areas elected official and say how much of a problem the boars are causing. Even each individual in your area that has had damage done to their property. Boars are great at reproducing and this problem is going to expand to other areas and so your town better get a handle on it fast.

Do you known if your town has a hunter's association? If so suggest that the town works with them to trap the boars for your area so then you don't need to keep paying these annual fees. This is what my town does. Ask questions why your town can't do the same. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Hope you guys can get the help you need.
I’ll ask the local big boss to inquire about that though I suppose I could do the footwork. Maybe I could get them to hire me ;)

The local hunters association would be getting ¥10-11,000 of that yearly ¥20,000 and they get ¥8,000 for the pre-test course. They’re raking it in and don’t have to do much :roll:
Don’t anticipate them being real motivated to come take care of our problems.

All the locals say they can never remember seeing boars or deer around these parts in the 70 years they’ve lived here. There was a flood control project where they cleared the bamboo and trees and now we have all kinds of big animals but none of the usual small animals around.

User avatar
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 4196
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:37 am
Location: Chiba Prefecture
Has thanked: 3661 times
Been thanked: 3009 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:39 pm
Was the hat a wig and the vest made from leather?

Image
Man you beat me to it, I was thinking the exact same thing :lol: :D
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:39 pm
Well after having a moan to my wife about the course and fees I found out that one of the big farmers in my area who wanted me to go started a little business for lumberjacking or whatever the correct term is for that so I presume in order to actually get people to work for him they need a chainsaw licence. Same with using a Kusakariki.

Sounds like he's sorting me out part time work during the very very cold winters here so I guess I shouldn't moan about it too much. Also I might actually learn how to cut down trees safely instead of having branches and shit fall on top of my head making me nearly cut my own leg off.



User avatar
KumamotoHunter
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Gun ownership and hunting in Japan

Post by KumamotoHunter »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:56 am
Tora wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:53 pm
So I passed the test to get my trapping license. I’m now standing with my jaw dropped at the ¥19,000+ I have to pay for tax and insurance to set traps on our land to remove animals causing damage to my and my neighbors’ land and crops. I’m not a farmer so I can’t claim any of this as expenditures. REALLY?!!! :shock:

No wonder there is a significant drop in hunters in Japan nowadays.
Man that's horrifically expensive, you'd think they'd be paying you to remove pests from the local area.
Try owing a gun or two here! 19,000 is cheap by comparison!
One shotgun slug costs 500 yen!