Best Prefecture For Farming?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
farmingnoob

Best Prefecture For Farming?

Post by farmingnoob »

Imagine you could have a plot of land in any prefecture in Japan. All other factors being equal, where would you choose and why?

Shizuman

Re: Best Prefecture For Farming?

Post by Shizuman »

I think id stick with Shizuoka, the climate is really good, got both surf and skiing and the city halls around here are keen to get new farmers. frosts dont seem to be too bad so the growing season is decent, close to Tokyo and close-ish to Nagoya. Having said that i did some volunteer stuff in Kyoto prefecture and the organic scene there is pretty good and the countryside is really beautiful, but they get a reasonable dump of snow in the winter. where would you like to go if you had the choice?

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob »

I think I'm stuck in Ibaraki, but if I could move anywhere, I'd want to move somewhere with a slightly longer growing season. I also want to want to be near the beach and relatively close to Tokyo (for international travel). So I think Shizuoka or Chiba might be good for me.

I'd love to have a couple acres for growing and relaxing, but my wife wouldn't be ok with going that far into the inaka. :roll:

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Hahaha yea mate
keeping the lady happy is key!
my partner is pretty chill about it, as long as she is near a hospital (for work) shes cool.
Most weekends shes out in the fields anyway, got in trouble from the old ladies in the town for working her too hard actually!
I tried to tell them she was there of her own accord but they didn't believe me. When i first was coming to Japan i really wanted to go to Aomori or Hokkaido but im really glad that i ended up in Shizuoka. Spent a bit of time in Gifu too, good thing about Gifu is that the Inaka turns to city real quick so you can be in the mountains and then in Gifu city in about say 45 minutes depending, then from gifu to Nagoya by train maybe 30 minutes from there.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

If I was choosing a location purely based on a good farming climate I think I'd opt for somewhere along the northern coast of Shikoku, like Ehime or maybe one of the islands in the Seto Inland Sea. Seems like a really nice spot with good growing conditions through most of the year, no extremes of temperatures and a nice balanced climate.

That's not to say I'm unhappy with Chiba, climate is also pretty good, if somewhat hot during summer and winters are cold without being arctic like so can't complain there. It's nice to have a break from rampant weed growth and relentless attack from insects. Access to customers is pretty easy in the surrounding cities and you don't feel you are out of touch with civilisation. I like living in our village but it's also nice to be have a good cinema nearby and easy access to shopping when you feel like it.

korekaranoka

Post by korekaranoka »

Thought I'd jump in and wave the Nagano flag! Hardly any earthquakes, absolutely no tidal waves, no pesky nuclear power stations to worry about, one of the regions with the most sunny days per year (Saku) and the highest average life expectancy in the entire world (Saku, again). Also, if you're into that kind of thing, Nagano has the highest rate of daily visits to the onsen in the country, loads of booze (which other region produces sake, shochu, liqueurs, wine, whisky, cider and beer?!). And if you're into organic farming, there is quite movement here, as well as a number of natural farming practitioners (Takeuchi Atsunori and usui Kenji)... And if you think the cold weather in winter is a bad thing, just bear in mind that it kills of all the bugs and beasties and makes farming considerably easier than in other areas of Japan. Plus, who wants to work all year long, anyway? Isn't that right, Zasso Noka ;)

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

hahaha korekaranouka! its funny you mention Nagano, me and the lady have been toying with the idea of moving there. We love it!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

korekaranoka wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 pm
Plus, who wants to work all year long, anyway? Isn't that right, Zasso Noka ;)
:lol:
It's funny you should say that, after enjoying taking it easy last January we've been taking it even easier this year and just doing the bare minimum to keep things ticking over and doing fun stuff instead like log splitting and forestry work, can't sit around getting drunk on Strong Zero's every day can we :D

UshikuDan

Post by UshikuDan »

Ibaraki. It’s a hidden gem. Good soils and cheap land and housing.

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

My mother-in-law is from Shizuoka and my wife was born there. We go there around once a year to visit family. Always enjoy it.

Have to admit i really like Nagano too, but I’d probably be happy anywhere with mountains.

I think I’d like to love to move to Kyushu if I hadn’t the chance.

But we have ties to Ibaraki so won’t move.

Though agree Ibaraki is underrated - north Ibaraki is really beautiful and quiet, but where we are us very flat, though I do like visit ol’ Tsukuba-san when I can.