Bamboo clearing.

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Bamboo clearing.

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Wow man, top job. That must have been hard going clearing it all away.

Mmmmm, out of date beer is sweet :dance:

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Well I've almost cleared the leftover roots and crap, that green section is what needs to be done, I'll probably need a digger for the thinner bit up top as it needs levelling out.
Also as zasso started covering the entire area I thought I would just plough the lot and try and make the area flat a bit to see how it would turn out.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Great job. You must have sweated buckets.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Definitely beats going to the gym that's for sure.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Awesome job man, that must have taken a lot of work but also kind of fun at the same time reclaiming some of your land from the encroaching wilderness. Do you have any plans for what you might grow there ?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Probably potatoes and cucumbers, already have 800 cucumbers or so planted at the moment, might as well increase that next year if possible.
Also where we are growing spuds at the moment we plan on building another house, that way we can grow our own stuff from seed with ease.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Going for the cucumbers big time :lol:

How are your tatties this year ? We've just started harvesting and selling ours now. The Tawara Murasaki did very well, Chelsea was a bit disappointing but probably due to the size of the seed potatoes this year.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Yeah we're selling our cucumbers via JA, trying to make it our main income crop for the year, after they are done we'll grow Kabu.
Still on the early stages with the cucumbers, also we're going organic so that means no pesticides and such so I expect yield to be much less compared to the other farmers.

I haven't really dug any spuds out to check yet, I'm guessing after a few more weeks they should be good to go. Got a feeling that our Chelsea spuds might be just as disappointing seeing as how little the plants actually are or how many grew compared to the others.
I slightly messed up with the spacing between the rows so it was a bit difficult trying to mound them up when the plants got to a certain size.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Hey mate i saw you're going organic, whats your main fertility?
Will you go the JAS route and get certified?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:14 pm
Still on the early stages with the cucumbers, also we're going organic so that means no pesticides and such so I expect yield to be much less compared to the other farmers.
So long as you give them plenty of fertiliser, cukes are really hungry plants, they might not be too different from non organic growers. Not sure how long your soil was unused for but ours took a few years to become really good after being abandoned for so long, that will also have an influence on how things grow on your land.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
I haven't really dug any spuds out to check yet, I'm guessing after a few more weeks they should be good to go. Got a feeling that our Chelsea spuds might be just as disappointing seeing as how little the plants actually are or how many grew compared to the others.
Our Chelsea from the seed potatoes we bought are quite small, yet the ones that grew from potatoes accidentally left in the ground after harvesting last year are normal size and crop weight so something went wrong at the seed potato farm last year.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
I slightly messed up with the spacing between the rows so it was a bit difficult trying to mound them up when the plants got to a certain size.
It's a tricky thing to get right, to be honest I've given up mounding them now. We run the rototiller along to excavate a trench and drop the seed potatoes in that then cover with a slight mound and that's it, mainly because it was too much work to go along later and mound them up or I was too lazy :oops:
Shizuman wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:23 pm
Will you go the JAS route and get certified?
Have you seen the prices they charge for JAS certification ? Eye wateringly expensive :eek:. I'm mean I'd like to get it but it is quite steep.