Seeding time

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
farmingnoob

Re: Seeding time

Post by farmingnoob »

Lessons this week:

I lost around half my snap peas to bugs but luckily I planted more than I needed. Next year, I'm going to start seeds indoors and also put some kind of barrier in the soil so the bugs hopefully can't access the roots.

Now I see my bean seedlings are getting attacked by larva. No surprise because I used old potting soil. Next year I need to check the soil carefully and seed many more plants.

I put out some cucumbers that I had started indoors. A few days later, some leaves turned white. It thought it was powdery mildew at first, but it looked like the leaves were melting. I'm guessing this is sun scald. I need to harden off my cucumbers next year.

I have failed to germinate edamame again and again. I first seeded them outdoors on April 1, then again two weeks later. Nothing. I then tried seeding them indoors and still nothing.

Green pepper and paprika seeds are SLOW. Any advice for seed starting peppers here in Kanto?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You can reuse potting soil so long as it hasn't been affected by any fungal attacks but it's a good idea to dry it out between uses. If you have larvea living in the soil either chuck it out, dry it in the sun for a few days or treat with predatory nematodes.
farmingnoob wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:21 pm
I put out some cucumbers that I had started indoors. A few days later, some leaves turned white. It thought it was powdery mildew at first, but it looked like the leaves were melting. I'm guessing this is sun scald. I need to harden off my cucumbers next year.
If you can grow your seedlings in front of a window that gets full sun for part of the day that can lessen the shock when they are transplanted outside.
farmingnoob wrote:
I have failed to germinate edamame again and again. I first seeded them outdoors on April 1, then again two weeks later. Nothing. I then tried seeding them indoors and still nothing.
One way to check the viability of your seeds would be to place a few on a moist sheet of kitchen paper and fold it over them. That will at least tell if the problem lies with the seeds or elsewhere.
farmingnoob wrote:
Green pepper and paprika seeds are SLOW. Any advice for seed starting peppers here in Kanto?
Sweet peppers really are incredibly slow, we start ours in late December, nasu start in January and tomatoes in March. Then they are ready for planting out in late April to early May.

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob »

These larva are driving me crazy. Today I saw that they ate clean through a two-month old zucchini plant. :angry-screaming:
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 am
You can reuse potting soil so long as it hasn't been affected by any fungal attacks but it's a good idea to dry it out between uses. If you have larvea living in the soil either chuck it out, dry it in the sun for a few days or treat with predatory nematodes.
How deep can they live? This year I threw away the top 5cm of soil and replaced it with fresh soil. I guess they were hiding pretty deep.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

farmingnoob wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:55 pm
These larva are driving me crazy. Today I saw that they ate clean through a two-month old zucchini plant. :angry-screaming:

How deep can they live? This year I threw away the top 5cm of soil and replaced it with fresh soil. I guess they were hiding pretty deep.
In pots ? Right down to the bottom I'd think. In outdoor soil not so deep, plus there would be predators. Are the larva small white maggots or worms ? If so predatory nematodes will kill them off or thoroughly drying the soil out between uses.

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob »

They look like this:

https://mushinavi.com/kabukabu/jp-humei/humei02yt3.jpg

They range from around 2cm to 5cm long. I have both pots and raised beds and even after digging them out, more seem to appear weeks later.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's called Japanese Beetle outside of Japan, here I'm not sure what they are called but this is what the adult looks like

You'll see them all over the place soon enough. Quite likely you'll have eggs already in your soil so more will hatch out as you get rid of them plus the larvea are quite mobile and can travel at night quite well.

You can deal with the adults by treating leaves but the larvea are much harder to kill, nematodes like Biosafe work but you'd have to order it through your local taneyasan most likely as the website that catered to home gardeners shut down last year. Milky spore disease also works but I don't know if it is available in Japan.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

i dont know their official name but in the Kansai we call them buibui、ブイブイ虫。
They are related to scarab beetles.

farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob »

Thank you for the info.

Upon further research, it seems like they live as deep as 30cm. So from now on I'm going to do like Zasso Nouka said and dry out the soil before using it again. I'm also going to watch out for the adult beetles.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Something else you can do with your potting soil is to solarise it. Wait till the rainy season is over and you have a few sunny days forecast then spread your potting soil out in a thin layer on a sheet of plastic and cover with a clear sheet of plastic/vinyl and leave it to bake in the sun for a couple of days. Weigh down the edges so it doesn't blow off and that will sterilise your soil killing any eggs or fungal spores that are laying dormant in it. After you've sterlised the soil pack in into sacks and roll the tops over to stop any beetles laying more eggs inside