Market gardening courses/books

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Shizuman

Market gardening courses/books

Post by Shizuman »

Gday guys
I thought this might be interesting (hope its ok to make a topic)
As I'm an English teacher i have cash to burn, so i signed up for one of the online market gardening courses recently by a fairly well known french Canadian market gardener (the market gardener masterclass), has anyone else tried it? It was a fairly useful little course lots of interesting information, ive worked my way through almost all of the course now and its been fairly useful, however....... Richard perkins just released a book on regenerative ag and i have to say i just got it and if youre thinking of doing small scale ag for money definitely grab a copy its brilliant! One drawback of the online courses is that they offer alot of discounts (drawback you ask?) which are available in north america (BCS tiller for example) so the savings they tout are lost here in Japan. Lots of good info on low till/no till practices though but not as in depth as i would have liked to be honest. Has anyone else looked into any good courses or books?

Zasso san pointed me onto Elliot colemans book and the market gardener, both great books.
if anyone has tried any other courses or books would love to hear and discuss the differences!

cheers

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Market gardening courses/books

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Good idea for a topic man :thumbup:

Did you do the Jean-Martin course or was it with someone else ?

Haven't done any online courses myself but quite liked the look of Curtis Stone's courses at The Urban Farmer Courses and Charles Dowding has a couple imaginatively called Online Course No 1 and Online Course No 2. It's a shame Eliot Coleman doesn't do any online courses but his books are awesome.
Shizuman wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:00 pm
BCS tiller for example
That would be awesome if we could buy them here, so versatile.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Yea mate i'm doing JMs course

Yea the BCS is a big drawcard for his course i have to say, I looked into getting one here and its just not economically viable considering you have to lay down extra money for the attachments youre after.
I would be very keen to look at what Charles Dowding has to say in his course, His Youtube videos however are awesome though, tons of information in them.

Have you considered a tilther at all?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Charles Dowding has some great advice and I'm trying out some of his no dig technique on part of our land and doing low till on another part. Found one of his videos recently where he talks about not having to do crop rotation, seems fairly counterintuitive but he doesn't seem to be having any problems so far.
Shizuman wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:16 am
Have you considered a tilther at all?
Was thinking about one but then stumbled on a Curtis Stone video where he uses his BCS tiller to do the same job and realised our tiller can also be set to just turn over the top couple of centimetres of the soil with a little wheel attachment I'd never used before.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:48 am
Was thinking about one but then stumbled on a Curtis Stone video where he uses his BCS tiller to do the same job and realised our tiller can also be set to just turn over the top couple of centimetres of the soil with a little wheel attachment I'd never used before.
Thats very cool, can you buy it in japan? you run a Iseki right?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I was pretty chuffed to discover it. This is the one we use for it.

You unclip the small wheel at the back and clamp it onto the height adjustment bar. I'll try and take a picture of what it looks like attached.