Partially Shaded

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Partially Shaded

Post by DocDoesFarming »

So after doing a lot of ground clearing I have a few areas where I get only about 7 or so hours of direct sunlight until 12 and then it goes completely shaded from the sun then on.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could plant there for summer or winter?

I was thinking carrots, garlic, cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli and maybe potatoes but I don't know if them only getting half a day's worth of sun is enough.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Partially Shaded

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You've seen our land and quite a large chunk of it is in a similar situation. Through the spring and summer it's ok for growing things but during winter we no longer bother and use the land in front of our entrance as the amount of direct sunlight is just too low for things to grow well.

With that in mind there are plenty of things you can grow there while it has enough sunlight but with perhaps a slightly reduced crop or taking a little longer to reach harvest. Most things will grow ok there, potatoes, nasu & tomatoes don't seem to mind too much, same for beans and various pumpkins. You could also use it to your advantage if whatever is shading provides protection when a typhoon hits.

As for winter if it's getting a really reduced amount of direct sunshine then it might be worth just putting a cover crop down to enrich the soil.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Cheers Phil.

I was thinking of growing pumpkins also, one load in the sunny area and one in the shaded to compare and see how things went. Hopefully before any Inoshishi ate them all.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like a good idea, should give you an idea if it's worth repeating but I reckon that area should be useable during the summer. Most salad vegetables can grow quite happily in areas that don't receive a full day's sun and lettuce in particular don't want the full summer sun on them as it's too hot for them so that could be another option if you wanted to grow some baby leaf salad.