Question about zoning and permits

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
procyon88

Post by procyon88 »

Hello everyone, I'm new here so I apologize if I'm not using this forum correctly but I have some questions to ask you.
I am a foreigner currently live in Fukuoka on Kyushu and have been toying with the idea of buying some property to the west in slightly inaka Itoshima. My dream is to start a small scale indoor mushroom farm and vegetable garden that could eventually expand into my primary source of income. While I'm currently building my knowledge on how to run an operation of this scale, I remain woefully ignorant of the legal side of things. So my questions are:

VISA
My current visa doesn't allow for this type of work. What would be the proper path to take? As I stated before, I want to start small until I get the hang of things and build a customer base with intent to expand. I wouldn't want to give up my current source of income to go off on this venture. Would I need to marry into Japan to get the freedom to work my current job while developing this business on the side? Or is there another, more practical way to go about it?

ZONING
What are the restrictions in regard to zoning. Ideally, I'd like to buy property with a house and enough land to build out some sheds or convert part of the house into the prep area and grow room. Mushroom farming can be done vertically so it really saves on space, even in residential areas. But would this be against the rules to combine a residence with a commercial operation? I know a ton of farmers live next to their crops but maybe mushroom farming is considered another entity. This is an area I really now nothing about so if someone could clear it up I'd be grateful.

DISTRIBUTION
As far as selling products, I assume there will be some sort of food safety verification or certificate that I need to acquire. I'm having trouble locating information on this online so anyone with experience selling produce feel free to chime in. Also will I need to acquire some sort of licence to sell mushrooms? Sorry if these aren't well thought out questions

IMPORTING MUSHROOM SPORES AND HEIRLOOM SEEDS
I will call customs to ask what the legality on importing spores and seeds is but figured I'd ask this forum if anyone has experience importing foreign plants and seeds into Japan.

I'm sure as this plan evolves I'll have more questions for this forum, any and all advice and criticism is welcome. Thank you all

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Firstly let me welcome you to Japan Simple Life, thank you for taking the time to join our little community. We really do appreciate you signing up and hope you enjoy your time here.

There aren't any restrictions on buying property as a foreigner if you have the cash, getting a loan will need something fairly long term like PR or a long term residence visa. However zoning restriction will affect what types of land you can buy, only registered farmers can buy farmland. You can farm on land that is not farmland, my own farm is not on agricultural land, without any problems and it's often easier than going through the process of registering.

No license is required to sell fresh vegetables (mushrooms included) and there aren't any inspections. I think you can run a business just fine from your house/land, we run our farm on our land and also have a cafe (that needs a food prep license but that's a separate issue). Obviously if you have a lot of neighbours closeby you probably need to take that into account but if you are in a small town or countryside and aren't making a lot of noise or bad smell it's probably fine.

Importing seeds or mushroom spores is totally off limits and will land you with a truly eye watering fine and or jail but there are companies in Japan that import these with the correct paperwork and you can buy from them.

You'll have to speak with immigration about your visa or tie the knot ;)

donguri

Post by donguri »

Welcome aboard!

Zasso's advice in the post prior to this is sound so I don't have much to add except about the visa.

Initially you shouldn't need any special visa, but before you start making lots of money on paper, you probably should consider it. Usually when people branch off into a part-time job other than the one granted by their visa, they ask for a "permission to engage in other activities" amendment. If your bureaucratic Japanese is up to snuff, just call your local Immigration Office and ask. Personally, I have trouble deciphering much of their high class vocabulary, so I usually have my husband make the call and he gets the full scoop in Japanese.

procyon88

Post by procyon88 »

Thank you both for the warm welcome and informative replies.

Zasso, in regard to selling produce, you are allowed to sell directly to vegetable stores, supermarkets and restaurants? So essentially it'a all about making connections.

Also do you have a link to one of those import companies?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Yes you can sell to anybody you like so approach the stores you want to sell in and if they have shelf space they'll sort something out with you. If you want to sell in bigger stores further away that's all about the connections you have that can arrange an introduction.

Have a butchers at one of the pinned threads in the country living forum for links to seed companies.