Spindly Seedlings

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
donguri

Spindly Seedlings

Post by donguri »

I've been working my current vegetable garden plot for about a year now, and planted a few herbs and potatoes prior to that. While I've had some success (and some fails), I often feel like I don't really know what I'm doing. Up until now, I've either directly seeded or purchased seedlings from a garden center. For this upcoming growing season I actually had the time and foresight to do some planning and ordered some sweet seeds online, thanks to the resources I found here.

I've started a few things like lettuce, pak chi, hakusai, cabbage in flats, and while they all germinated quickly, they all seem to be tall and spindly, they don't -or maybe can't- really stand up. Some online research suggests that they germinated in high heat and low light. OK, that makes sense, as I have them outside under the roof overhang on the north side, so they don't get burned by the intense sun. As for the heat, there's no place that's cool in Japan in late August!

Any advice? Are they still useable? And when exactly is the best time to move them from tray to garden?

Thanks for any help!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Spindly Seedlings

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Are you using the module trays, ie 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 module trays for sale in home centres ? They work well in spring but for autumn planting we've moved over to using small pots as that allows each plant to develop a larger root system that helps when transplanting.

For autumn transplanting you might find it easier to germinate and grow them on on the south side of your house as this will acclimatise them to the conditions they will find when transplanted to your growing area, you might lose a few seedlings but the stronger ones that survive should be able to handle transplanting better. You can still use your seedlings but they may need a little extra watering as they adjust to a new location. It looks like from next week temperatures will becoming more reasonable.

donguri

Spindly Seedlings

Post by donguri »

Thanks Zasso!

Yes, I’ve got them in modular trays, good to hear about your seasonal variations of containers. I’ll give it a go too!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Spindly Seedlings

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It's the soft flexible black pots that you can buy in stacks of a 100.