Transplanting spinach

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Mister G

Transplanting spinach

Post by Mister G »

Happy New year everyone!

There are lots of conflicting information on the internet regarding transplanting spinach.

Has anyone tried transplanting spinach from seed trays and grew them to a reasonable size (15cm)?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Transplanting spinach

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Is there a problem transplanting spinach ? I must confess to being completely ignorant on the subject as we always directly seed ours and did a few rows in our new low till beds just before new year. They are currently protected by agricultural fleece but will probably be slow to germinate given the night time temperatures.

Mister G

Transplanting spinach

Post by Mister G »

I have yet to try it. Internet people say that spinach has long taproot and does not handle transplanting well.

1) My neighbour said it is a 50/50 in transplanting spinach from module, some seeds work and some don't.
2) Mr Dowding transplants his spinach seedlings and doesn't seem to have any issues.

Yes definitely direct seeding is the safest but maybe I will try something new this spring and share the results..!

Shizuman

Transplanting spinach

Post by Shizuman »

Gday mate

I do all my spinach from 128 cell trays, and usually loose 5 to 10 per bed (out of 160 ish plants).
I use a tray popper to get them out of the tray.
i haven't had any major issues as yet with transplanting them. the only times ive had issues is if i am lazy and they get pot bound, then the root mass doesnt spread at all and the plant tends to be stunted.