What are the steps to actually becoming a certifiedfarmer?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

Hello everyone! Weather is warming up, and its been busy work ammending the soil for my new hatake.

I was wondering if anyone went through the steps to become an actual certified farmer?
I was hoping to buy another hatake and I heard that there are lots of subsidies avalible for farmers.
What is step one? I sold at my local michi no eki before, and I just had to certify that my goods were local goods to to area to sell there, and entered some kind of insurance scheme for my small farm. Since I moved, it seems like that kind of program doesn't exist, but I would like to expand and sell more than I have before.

I'm hoping to be a farmer, but more like a hobbiest farmer, since I still have my part-time day job.

Additionally, I was wondering what websites you use to find small workable land (for buying and/or renting). I went through old posts from before, but several of the websites seem like they havent been updated for quite some time.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome back Wolfsong013 , hope you are doing well.

We looked into it last year and in our city it's actually quite easy. You either buy or rent 1500 tsubo of land and register with the local Nougyou Inkai (農業員会) and you are considered a farmer. If you are renting you'll need a contract but if you bought the land it should show up in the land register. That's it you are now a registered farmer of Japan.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:07 pm
Welcome back Wolfsong013 , hope you are doing well.

We looked into it last year and in our city it's actually quite easy. You either buy or rent 1500 tsubo of land and register with the local Nougyou Inkai (農業員会) and you are considered a farmer. If you are renting you'll need a contract but if you bought the land it should show up in the land register. That's it you are now a registered farmer of Japan.
Thanks Zasso, I know that I can always count on you!
I will have to think about it, I don't know if its possible to upkeep 1500tsubo of land by myself with just hand tools!

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

I will have to think about it, I don't know if its possible to upkeep 1500tsubo of land by myself with just hand tools!
Hi Wolfsong. I think 1500tsubo is just over an acre. This is really minuscule and would be easy to take care of. Frankly it’s so small I’d hardly even consider it a “farm”. My parents run 80 acres of sheep back home and they both work full time. Admittedly they do have some mechanical assistance and running stock is much easier than market gardening but I can’t imagine you’d have any issue at all with just an acre. There are even some suburban plots where I am from of that size haha. If you want to start smaller than that, maybe you should see if there’s a community garden near you where you can rent a small plot.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Wolfsong013 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 pm
As you already know you don't have to be a registered farmer to sell produce but technically you have to be if the vegetables are grown on agricultural land (Nouchi 農地). Vegetables grown on Sanrin (農地) can be legally sold by anyone. All of our land is sanrin and personally I prefer the freedom of being outside of the Nougyou Inkai and JA's domain but but that may or may not be possible in your area. Now whether anyone ever checks if you are registered or if your land is nouchi or sanrin is another matter entirely.

As for maintaining 1500 tsubo of land on your own it could be possible if you do an Elliot Coleman/Curtis Stone or low till/no till type cultivation with permanent beds. A small tiller (where you can set the till depth) if you are going to use manure but might not be needed if you are using compost, a kerosene flame weeder and a brush cutter should be all you need. A Jang seeder would also be useful but isn't totally necessary, depends if you are direct seeding or transplanting.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:08 am
Hi Wolfsong. I think 1500tsubo is just over an acre. This is really minuscule and would be easy to take care of. Frankly it’s so small I’d hardly even consider it a “farm”. My parents run 80 acres of sheep back home and they both work full time. Admittedly they do have some mechanical assistance and running stock is much easier than market gardening but I can’t imagine you’d have any issue at all with just an acre. There are even some suburban plots where I am from of that size haha. If you want to start smaller than that, maybe you should see if there’s a community garden near you where you can rent a small plot.
Now that you say it, an acre does seem do-able (My husband made it seem like 1500 tsubo is massive and needing tractors). I looked into community gardens, but most are much smaller than my home hatake, and I was hoping for more expansion. Thanks for the recommendation on the a kerosene flame weeder and a brush cutte, I had a weed cutter when I was out in the country, but it wasn't great. This might be the motivator for me to get a nice, kerosene/gas cutter!

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

We have a "farm" in Shizuoka, we are on about an acre of nouchi that a friend is kindly allowing us to use. We went to city hall ready to submit all the documents and they said "Oh you want to become a farmer... um really? we don't care if you use it. go nuts." (some artistic licence). I second what zasso said i managed half of the acre while working full time. I was using the Jang seeder, a shinfuji kersone burner and borrowing a rototiller when needed. Personally I would prefer to be on Sanrin though, just so there is a little bit more freedom, I want a pack shed but it may be pushing my luck building one on agricultural land. Good luck though!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Wolfsong013 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:26 pm
Thanks for the recommendation on the a kerosene flame weeder and a brush cutte, I had a weed cutter when I was out in the country, but it wasn't great. This might be the motivator for me to get a nice, kerosene/gas cutter!
As @Shizuman says the Shinfuji burners are pretty good, get one with a tank rather than the wand type as they are a lot easier to use, they come in two types either with a gas bombe or wick type for lighting. When it comes to buying a brush cutter splash out and buy a 4 cycle engine or one of the new battery powered ones from Makita, they will last much longer than cheaper ones.
Shizuman wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:26 pm
We have a "farm" in Shizuoka, we are on about an acre of nouchi that a friend is kindly allowing us to use. We went to city hall ready to submit all the documents and they said "Oh you want to become a farmer... um really? we don't care if you use it. go nuts." (some artistic licence).
It always amazes me how different various cities are, some so strict you wonder if they'd rather see the municipality die out as the population declines whereas other cities like yours are really liberal.

Shizuman wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:26 pm
I want a pack shed but it may be pushing my luck building one on agricultural land. Good luck though!
So long as you don't have a concrete base anything you build is classed as a temporary building and subject to far less official attention. You could build a pretty sweet packing shed out of scaffolding poles and totan sheets. So long as you drive the scaffolding poles at least 50 cm into the ground they should be fairly typhoon safe.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 pm
As @Shizuman says the Shinfuji burners are pretty good, get one with a tank rather than the wand type as they are a lot easier to use, they come in two types either with a gas bombe or wick type for lighting. When it comes to buying a brush cutter splash out and buy a 4 cycle engine or one of the new battery powered ones from Makita, they will last much longer than cheaper ones.
Thanks Zasso, on the burner I have the wick type and I find it a bit tricky to light sometimes, my gut says the bombe type may be easier to get going.

Ill look into the shed stuff, thanks I was led to believe different info so that's awesome cheers.
Last edited by Shizuman on Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Shizuman wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:20 am
Thanks @Zasso Nouka on the burner I have the wick type and I find it a bit tricky to light sometimes, my gut says the bombe type may be easier to get going
The bombe type is pretty easy to get going.