What are the steps to actually becoming a certifiedfarmer?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 pm
I was scratching my head over that one and wondering if I'm too old to understand the slang you young whippersnappers are using :oops:
Sorry, I can’t type with my thumbs either. And autocorrect helps make my deficiencies more interesting/unintelligible.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

Thanks for everyone's input! I found a small plot for rent for 1500 yen per year.

Its the L shape, with the smaller part being 25m² and the larger part being 50m². Water is provided for the rental fee, so it looks like it might be a good step up without needing to figure out too many logistics.

I decided to take it this year, see how it goes and think about expanding in the future if this one goes well! Thanks again for all your help and information!

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Good stuff, what are you planning on growing to begin with?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Wolfsong013

Post by Wolfsong013 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:39 pm
Good stuff, what are you planning on growing to begin with?
Right now I am planning on sectioning the area so I can grow a variety on this one plot.

First, I"m hoping I'm not too late to put down a crop of potatoes in one section.

For the other sections, I was thinking of a crop of Hatch green Chilies, various eggplants, butternut squash, zuchinni. Things that will like the full sun in that area and are decently pest and disease resistant. This is in addition to my home hatake, where I will be growing more interesting varities of plants that will require a little more care and checking on them.

Here at the house, I have tons of 2 meter fencing around the dog run, so there will be a huge amount of goya this year. Last year from my bedroom green curtain alone, I was getting 7-12 giant goya a week. This year will be crazy if I get the same yield

VanillaEssence

Post by VanillaEssence »

:doh:
Wolfsong013 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:30 pm
Thanks for everyone's input! I found a small plot for rent for 1500 yen per year.
This looks great and who could argue with that price. Please post the fruits of your endeavours as they arrive

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Congratulations :happy-wavemulticolor:

Bargain price and water is supplied as well, that is going to be really handy when putting out transplants.
Wolfsong013 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:48 pm
First, I"m hoping I'm not too late to put down a crop of potatoes in one section.
We're just finishing putting the last of our seed potatoes in this week so you aren't too late yet. Most of the seed potatoes in home centres have already sprouted so that should offset a slightly late planting

Best of luck with the plot and keep us up to date with what's happening there.