Income potential from creating satoyama

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
grisfao

Post by grisfao »

Mountains can be had for a song ... I wonder if we can create a blueprint for making a living restoring the natural environments there. For example, including educational camps for kids, maybe a campground, harvesting functional foods and selling to high-end markets, cooking classes for wealthy tourists...

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like an interesting plan, if you can find a way to make it through to the stage where you are making an income from the land then I reckon it's doable.

What's your plan to survive the winter when clients are thin on the ground ? Not being negative here but will the summer months generate enough income to coast through the winter.

What sort of work force will be required to make this happen and how will they be supported and paid while the project is being developed ? Once you get out into the countryside there are a lot of active seniors that could potentially be recruited and they probably have the skills and knowledge to make this kind of project succeed.

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Good topic! I have been recently thinking about mountain property. My main purpose for wanting it would be for making firewood. I have been walking through a lot of mountains/sanrin recently near my home and thinking like @grisfao, thinking about what else they could be used for.

I like the idea of a camp ground but wouldn't do it myself. Too much of an investment for me but I do think it could be profitable if done right.

I'm thinking as a bit of a hobby in the future to build some mountain bike trails/ walking trails for me and the family. Maybe a guy could do this and charge small user fees and even have a little shop near by selling local delicacies and or mountain vegetables and of course grapes.

grisfao

Post by grisfao »

THere's a property local to me. There are two owners who are both willing to sell, and an elderly friend of mine who lives on the next mountain over is getting the deal set up. The whole thing started b/c a friend of his inquired about finding an additional property to create a new revenue stream. They already have 3 guest houses. so I joined the conversation later but it sounds like everyone is happy to have me be a part of it. Right now with so many subsidies available b/c of corona it seems like it would be a great time to jump in and get as much infrastructure built as possible... just have to figure out where the revenue streams would be. Seems like starting with a campground would be easiest, and transitioning to guest houses if that's what we want to do later. There are lots of types of campgrounds though--kid/education oriented, wilderness, cabin, and the plain vanilla type too. I wonder if there's revenue information for that kind of thing anywhere. Sorry for the stream of thought, I think I need a couple more hours sleep.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

On the subject of grants I've seen several developments when out and about that have guest houses attached to a michi no eki type place with either a little garden or shared hatake for each house and common BBQ area or something similar and where they have a mission statement posted up the intention is to regenerate the area so it must be doable. I imagine the funds are arranged in cooperation with the local shiyakusho so maybe have a chat with them about what is on offer.

This place in southern Chiba is the only one I can currently remember

道の駅むつざわ つどいの郷

But I've seen others up in Tochigi and Gunma on a smaller scale that seemed more oriented towards guest stays or short term lets, just can't remember exactly where at the mo.