Late Start - Should I Just Buy Seedlings?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
farmingnoob

Post by farmingnoob »

Hey everyone. I hope you're enjoying Golden Week.

Despite having a lot more free time due to covid, I have been really lazy with the garden. I should have started all my seeds a month ago but never got around to it.

I have some tomatoes sprouting now but haven't done the cucumbers, goya, and green peppers yet.

Is it too late to start a bunch of seeds or is it best to just pay extra and buy seedlings?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Can I give you a proper answer tomorrow ? Sorry had a few too many Strong Zero's to put anything sensible down right now :lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

donguri

Post by donguri »

I just put some cucumber seeds in the ground earlier this week and plan to sow more again in a few weeks. I'm sure if you had seedlings, you'd be able to harvest sooner, but in my limited experience, cucumbers don't really get going until it's quite warm/hot regularly. No experience with goya, but it also seems to be a heat loving plant. Starting peppers from seed might be a bit late....they seem to need a long time to mature.

I think the modern trend is to start vegetables and especially rice, much earlier than folks did in thee olde tymes. If you have the seeds, why not try? And maybe buy a few seedlings too!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

@donguri is right cucumbers love the heat and they are also fast growing so will soon catch up.

If you want nasu and peppers it's probably best to buy a few seedlings and you don't need many to keep yourself supplied.

Things you can seed now - Sasage (ササゲ、cow peas), Ensai (エンサイ、water spinach), Kairan (カイラン、Chinese Broccoli), Tsurumurasaki (ツルムラサキ、Malabar Spinach), Zucchini, Butternut squash, Kabocha (for winter storage), Asparana. All of those love the heat of summer and will go bezerk once the rainy season gets in full swing.

You could also by a bunch of Kinjiso (金時草、ハンダマ, Okinawa Spinach) root it into pots in a shady spot with a bag over the top and plant out once rooted for a good supply of tasty and nutritious shoots all through the summer and autumn.

donguri

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 am

Things you can seed now - Sasage (ササゲ、cow peas),...
Thank the gods you mentioned sasage! I forgot about them and would LOVE to have some growing here!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:18 pm
Thank the gods you mentioned sasage! I forgot about them and would LOVE to have some growing here!
They are an absolute lifesaver for when it's too hot for other beans

donguri

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:58 pm
They are an absolute lifesaver for when it's too hot for other beans
And they're soooo tasty! I'm also fascinated by their size. Anyway, I need to rethink my hatake plan yet again because I've got sasage seeds arriving tomorrow!!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:07 am
And they're soooo tasty! I'm also fascinated by their size. Anyway, I need to rethink my hatake plan yet again because I've got sasage seeds arriving tomorrow!!
And so versatile, love them cold in salads or hot in fried rice, tempura, soups and all sorts. The plants do tire after 5 - 8 weeks so space plantings a few weeks apart for continuous harvest through the summer.

If you like zucchini during the summer give these Tromboncino a try, grow them over a frame for straight fruit. They love the hot humid weather and don't suffer from downy mildew like regular zucchini, pick at this size

You can grow them to full size pumpkins and they store reasonably well for the winter but flavour wise I think butternut are better.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

In the early morning mist, a flock of wild trombocinos were spotted gliding serenely across the lake.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

:laughing-rofl: :bow-yellow:

That's classic