Hello! - from a not so Japanese newbie with a few questions about starting farming

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello! - from a not so Japanese newbie with a few questions about starting farming

Post by Zasso Nouka »

LOAF wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:23 am

I appreciate your and support! I know I'll look back at the last 5 months as valuable experience. We absolutely loved being in the fields and getting our hands muddy :))
Since we don't have any family here (all o/s and my very few but close friends are all in Kansai), I'd like to stay here. I don't mind the idea to live a Urban farming life right here in Osaka.. We're located near Nara, and I love the mountain landscape so much! There seems to be quite a few farmland, so I'm sure if I ask around, there will be someone who might lend it out. May the 'nougyou iinkai"??

Can I ask a silly question? I think I've asked this many times before, but I think we're both a little lost about how to sell the crops? I know if I'm not a registered nouka, then I can't sell to JA, but can sell to Chokubaijo (is this correct?)
And what about department stores and organic produce suppliers? How do you get involved with them?
Anyone can grow and sell vegetables without having to be a registered farmer and to be honest as a small producer you'd be well advised to steer clear of JA entirely. Technically you need to be a registered farmer to sell vegetables grown on 'Nouchi' ie farmland but if your land is sanrin that doesn't matter. Selling at Chokubaijo is just a matter of contacting them and starting, same for other stores.
LOAF wrote:

I'm glad I can still use Spinoace. Thanks for the baking powder/liquid sulphur tips. I'll be sure to check it out online and see what other information I can find :)
Can I ask what you mean by "white oil"? Is that similar to neem oil??
White oil is a mix of vegetable oil and a suitable dishwashing soap, try to use a natural soap, we use one made from coconut oil. It smothers small insect like aphids and helps sprays stick to leaves or gives a small amount of protection from rain.

LOAF wrote:

Fantastic, I didn't realise negi is quite an easy crop to grow all year round. My mentor said that no one grows it around this region of Osaka, so in summer his profits grow substaintially (he grows his negi hydroponically)!!
Over here in Chiba folk grow different varieties all year round in the soil without any added watering.

LOAF wrote:

Thanks once again, your message has lifted our spirits up! I will jot your pointers down and will certainly look into it once I settle down :) For now I am looking for part-time work. I am a little surprised to learn so much cost involved with tax and nenkin! How do people get around paying with little wage, I'm wondering, as my husband and I just want to work only 3-4 days to reach our goal to do some farm work. Anyway, I need to do one thing at a time :D
BTW isn't the weather just so divine this time of year? Loving the 4 distinct seasonal changes. Something I wouldn't be able to experience if I moved to Ishigaki :lol: and back in Melbourne, where we lived, we complained about the 4 distinct seasonal changes we experienced in one day!!! Have a great day!
You might be advised to get an accountant to help with payments when you first start or chat with your local city council/chamber of commerce to get an idea of what you need to pay.

Loving it now the weather has cooled down a bit, summer is fun when it first starts but the heat and humidity soon get tiring.

LOAF

Post by LOAF »

Thanks @donguri
We moved to Japan in March, so I’ll navigate my way through, find work and get used to that before looking at the prospects of farming and countryside living :)