Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Yay or nay to black plastic mulch?

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:49 pm
I find it increasingly ominous when I am accessing a part of a website and am asked “Are you human? Which pictures are of a boat?” Is it part of the program that AI must ask if you are human to access certain limited access areas/functions? What would happen if AI was allowed into that section of the website? Does AI really not know what a boat looks like?! How long til it does?!!! We’ll be screwed?
And presumably it's an algorithm asking you that question, maybe they use that information to make themselves more human like ? :eek:

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

I mean...are we flattering ourselves that AI would want to become human-like? :twisted:

Never seen this black plastic mulch you speak of but I sure love the black sheet weed barrier. I've spent waaaay tooo much on rolls of that.

You know you have weed problems when you can hide heavy machinery in them.

Tora

Post by Tora »

How are you all holding up in this HEAT?

Thought I’d post an update on my experience with the black plastic.

Pros
1. Seems to prevent evaporation of water in the hot, dry heat of summer.
2. Prevents weeds where it doesn’t get damaged.
3. Makes the local farmers think I know what I’m doing???
4. It seems to prevent soil compaction from rain but the areas with leaf mulch seems to be doing pretty good too so maybe this and other problem areas would be served just as well with leaf or other organic mulch.

Cons
1. Hard to water
2. Hard to add additional fertilizer during growing season
3. Gets damaged easily and weeds then grow up through those holes.
4. Seams to be single use
5. This world does not need more friggin plastic garbage!!!!!! This was already here at in the barn when we moved in so it was going to be trash at some point so... whaddya do in a situation like this?!
6. I think my plants with leaf mulch are just as happy and I know the leaf mulch is so much better for things in the long run.

Overall, in the future, I think I’ll be using leaf and other organic organic mulch mainly to cover rows instead of that black plastic. I’m just an amateur so professional farmers might make better use of it. I will be trying it with onions this winter as mentioned above.

Please, Take all I say with a grain of salt as I’m pretty lazy and often only go out to harvest vegetables, water, weed, etc. I do however think I can recognize healthy plants and the easiest or better (?!) way to do things in my situation based on my dislike of doing unnecessary or unjustified work.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

If you are a big Amazon shopper, use cardboard instead of plastic. Works as well but breaks down over time.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

If you put some sprinkler hose under the mulch when laying it that makes watering easy.

As you mention weeds can come through the plastic where there are any holes. I've found not using plastic mulch actually easier to control weeds as you can get in with a hoe to get any weeds before they grow large and as you say adding additional fertiliser is possible if some is needed.

Last winter we mulched our garlic and onions with rice husk and that did just as good a job as the black plastic.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Gonbechan,
I actually used cardboard covered with lots of leaves and soil (ideally it should be compost but I’d just moved and didn’t have any) when installing some new beds in the garden last year. Those beds have few if any weeds and are producing some nice veggies now. The beds I made by just tilling weeds under is still producing some serious weeds. Zasso’s previous comments about weed seeds (and roots) in the soil seem to explain that.

Zasso,
The sprinkler hose is a genius idea. It is good to learn that you had positive results with natural mulches that will also help improve the soil as they decompose. I might have to as the local farmers if they’ll let me dispose of their rice husks so they don’t have to burn them....

Thank you all for the good advice.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You might be able to find a farmer that will drop his momigara off on your land rather than taking it to his tanbo to burn. If you can get enough then turn what you don't use as mulch into biochar with a few of the metal chimneys you see in home centres. The stainless steel ones are more expensive but last for years if you stash them away after use.

There are complete instruction in the Biochar Thread

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Another con for plastic mulching is that it's such a pain in the arse to remove especially when weeds and shit have grown in it. I suppose you could get that biodegradable stuff and just tractor the area.

Also along with momigara you could get loads of wara for mulching, the local farmers gave us loads provided we helped tie up his share from his tanbo.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

donguri

Post by donguri »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:43 pm

Also along with momigara you could get loads of wara for mulching, the local farmers gave us loads provided we helped tie up his share from his tanbo.
Wara rules for mulch! I wish I could get more, but most of the rice growers I know all use it themselves, so I take what I can get. That's one of the reasons I grew some Sorghum this year, since it grows so tall, I figured dried, it would give me a lot of wara-like mulch and mass to work with. And apparently it's got soil cleansing benefits as well as just looking real tall and cool.

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:43 pm
Another con for plastic mulching is that it's such a pain in the arse to remove especially when weeds and shit have grown in it. I suppose you could get that biodegradable stuff and just tractor the area.

It seems like a pain to remove and dispose of. I just used some of the three rolls I found in the barn when we moved in. I’m not real impressed. I doubt it’s biodegradable but don’t really know. I think I liked it best for covering concrete foundation forms to protect them from rain and cold.

I’ll ask some of the local farmers about Wara and momigara.