Yay or nay to black plastic mulch?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Absolutely man, just keep adding it year after year and it will eventually lighten the soil. One thing to be aware of when adding momigara to soil is that it will consume nitrogen, well the bacteria that break it down will consume nitrogen to break it down so you will need to add more nitrogen than normal to cover the deficit when planting crops on that soil.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Thanks as ever :thumbup:
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You're welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

Tora wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:48 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:58 am
You made the door and tables from scratch?
Some fool thought it a good idea to tear out all the old doorways and half of the ceilings so he doesn’t have to walk around the house hunched over like the knuckle dragging Neanderthal that he really is.
Sounds like what I'll be trying to do soonish myself, 195cms ain't fun in Japan. I'm assuming they're solid doors not frame and skin? just curious about it because of insulation between rooms

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

MatsueMadness wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:04 pm
just curious about it because of insulation between rooms
What is this insulation you speak of?

Tora

Post by Tora »

MatsueMadness wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:04 pm
Sounds like what I'll be trying to do soonish myself, 195cms ain't fun in Japan. I'm assuming they're solid doors not frame and skin? just curious about it because of insulation between rooms
All from scratch frame and skin. Keeps them light. More time consuming than difficult. Keep it square and flat!!! 204-205cm door height gives me an extra 2 inches of headroom. If a man’s house is his castle, he ought to at least be able to walk around standing up straight!

I found that corrugated polycarbonate in a double layer is super insulating. Even one sheet is like a double panes window. You can get some cool optical effects by rotating ONE PIECE 90 degrees. I added an extra space In between 2 panels in one door and got what amounts to a 4 pane window with 3 dead air spaces in between. The part of the house we don’t use everyday can be freezing while the main living area is tropical even on the coldest days. Those doors really let in light, ere IS light, and are not as fragile as glass so I’m not cringing every time the adolescent is on the rampage. You could also put some thin foam board between 2 layers of wood for good insulation too.

Frames are made from reused wood (30-32 x 40mm?) I took out of the old drop/suspended ceilings. Corners are lap joints (can be done with hand tools) glued and screwed. I set the corrugated polycarbonate (and diagonal boards on the last door) into grooves running down the length of the frame. A tablesaw, router or mizokiri-ki is real useful for this but there are other ways to do everything.

I put together a quick greenhouse door this morning with the same kind of frame this morning.

I’ll look around for some process pics if you really want to see.

Here area some interior doors I’ve done for the house. The mostly clear one is super insulating. Then the WC door is clad in barnwood on both sides cuz the backside of the boards was pretty ugly (“she gives instructions and walks away” said). The door with diagonal boards is the most recent and a lot more work than I wanted it to be. I guess they all were and that’s why it takes me a half year to get over/forget the pain of the last one and start another.

Sorry for the double link but the pics weren’t showing up when I just linked to them with the share image button. Does it take a while for them to show up?

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

Shit I have to pay an arm and a leg for and install completely throughout the fucking house. Well, at least I know it isn't rotten and mold infested if I do it myself

MatsueMadness

Post by MatsueMadness »

It's all good Tora they show up, look nice. We are opening up our rooms and closing off the genkan because it is built outside the concrete frame. Double paned sliding doors are pretty expensive so that clear panel is a brilliant idea, would you be able to link me it? Not sure if I've seen it, only the bigger roof corrugated panels near me I think

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:07 am
Sorry for the double link but the pics weren’t showing up when I just linked to them with the share image button. Does it take a while for them to show up?
I've fixed it for you. You post one image at a time and the link must end in .jpg/.jpeg or something similar

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Tora wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:07 am

Damn those look pretty awesome. Nice work.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.