Native Raspberries?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Otona Cream Pie

Native Raspberries?

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

First time I came across these on the back of the property. I didn't eat any but I think all brambleberries are safe? Do these look native?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Native Raspberries?

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Not seen those but why not try eating some ? And maybe have the local ambulance service on speed dial just in case :eek: :shock:

Seriously though it might be better not to try something you aren't 100% sure is safe. I don't think those will kill you but do you want to try the word of some random guy on the internet ? Maybe a local can tell you what they are ?

We have something slightly similar but it's pretty tart and not very nice.

VanillaEssence

Native Raspberries?

Post by VanillaEssence »

I think they are called wineberries and if they are, they are safe to eat. That said, I think the reason I am here today is because my ancestors for thousands of years let others try the berries first

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Native Raspberries?

Post by gonbechan »

I probably would have eaten one already... or gotten Señor Gonbe to try one (sssh)
there are some pretty good apps for identifying plants.
but better be safe than sorry.

NickinGunma

Native Raspberries?

Post by NickinGunma »

Looks like a Chinese raspberry to me (which I think is also called a Hawthorn raspberry), as people say, double check, but if so, great eating. They also make a nice jam.

Otona Cream Pie

Native Raspberries?

I did some more digging and everyone agrees basically all bramble berries like these (black berries, raspberries, wineberries, etc.) are safe so no worries there. I am kinda addicted to raspberries and get my fix from Costco (great in yogurt) which is why these caught my attention. I think if I actually start farming, these kinds of bramble berries are exactly what I would be in to. I grew up in Southern California and love me some Boysenberries, and Loganberries!!

Asking a friend in the area that is a "pro forager" for an ID but they seem to look most like the "Korean Raspberries" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_crataegifolius (the pics are actually from Japan and it's apparently native to east Asia so makes sense)

:think:

Eric in Japan

Native Raspberries?

Post by Eric in Japan »

I have been eating those and their yellowish orange cousins for years. The kids and I would pick buckets of them and freeze them for ice cream and smoothies. They have a bit of an aftertaste, but are not too bad. Nowhere near as good as a real raspberry though. But they are everywhere.

I used to buy home center raspberry plants, never very good fruit or quantity, but I finally got an Indian Summer (I think) raspberry plant at a flower shop in a supermarket near here. That is so nice. Big, abundant, and twice a year.

Two years ago I got some primocane bearing blackberries- the Ark 45, Sharon's Delight, and Ark Freedom from Ozeki Nursery. Astounding. Early bearing (blackberries a month earlier than the local home center varieties of Black Satin, Chester, and Triple Crown). And they fruit again in the autumn on the new canes. They were expensive but so worth it if you love brambles like I do.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Otona Cream Pie

Native Raspberries?

Eric in Japan wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:50 am
I used to buy home center raspberry plants, never very good fruit or quantity
This has been my experience as well. How did you end up planting the successful ones? have plenty of space but since I'm still in the building process with excavators, cranes, and logs to move, I have been putting off finding a place to plant some out there

Eric in Japan

Native Raspberries?

Post by Eric in Japan »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:58 am
How did you end up planting the successful ones?
I planted them along the fence at the parking lot I rent from the city LOL. It used to be full of weeds and burrs that would always catch on your socks and pants as you walked by them. So I cut the weeds down. Then I decided that as long as I was keeping it neat, I might as well plant something useful. The fact that it was finally a decent variety of raspberry was an accident.
I just tie the canes to the fence, and relocate any suckers further down the fence. The city groundskeepers haven't cut down anything that looks landscaped- so far... Guerilla gardening. Now I am running out of fence at the parking lot, so I will be taking any further suckers back to my mountain to plant in the rock wall/hedge I am building out of stones the wild boars have dug out of the lawn. Should be an interesting experiment.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"