Property lines

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Otona Cream Pie

Property lines

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

In the populated areas, this is obviously an issue....in the inaka of the inaka, definitely less so. My land up in the mountains is bordered by the main road in the front, a giant (and unsightly :evil: ) white tube of the local hydro electric company, a mountain, and the last remaining side is another, fairly flat plot. The neighboring plot was owned by a mining company that is no longer operating in the area. Not sure if it went bankrupt but they never visit. The head of the local forestry association told me he was tasked with maintaining the irrigation on it as there are a few cement ditches that crisscross it and direct rain water to a massive drain on the other side of that plot. It basically goes unused and minimally maintained. I'm pretty sure I could take it over and nobody would care.

All that to say the map I received from the previous owners, looking something like a contract with all neighboring properties info and stamps....it is not the same as what I received when I registered at the local shiyakusho. Other than the rare hydroelectric company employee, I've never seen signs of life on the land around mine.

This is basically what the shiyakusho has on record:

You can see my 3 piles of logs and my crane. That black square below the crane is the build location.

The contract-looking map is missing the triangle and the mountain area behind the plot next door. I suppose what's official is what is registered and while I highly doubt anyone cares or there would ever be conflict, it makes me wonder how anything like that would be resolved. Which also brings up the triangle on the other side of that ugly tube...looks like they cut through the original plot with that tube installation so I'm left with this weird, remote triangle plot of land...what do I do with that? Good place to start beekeeping? Remote solar installation? How do I even figure out the boundaries there?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Property lines

Post by Zasso Nouka »

No doubt you won't be surprised to hear this is a bit of a grey area. The information on your property deeds may match up with what's registered with the local Shiyakusho or may be entirely different. Which one takes precedence ? Who knows ?

If you've got boundary posts around the edge of your property most neighbours seem to respect them. How do you know they haven't been moved ? Who knows ?

You can get your land surveyed, we had ours done by Mrs Nouka's dad's cousin's friend (bit of a distant relationship but hey ho), who's a surveyor. He came over with some sort of laser device and checked all the boundary markers but discovered a slim strip of land that we are part owners of, along with a bunch of other people that provides access to two plots of land that otherwise wouldn't have access. That wasn't in the Shiyakusho records, I don't remember how he found out about it, probably some surveyor trade secret. We can do what we like with this land so long as it still provides access to the two plots, which were tanbo but are now overgrown forest so never likely to be used.

Likely part of your land was purchased to allow for the hydro pipe leaving the little triangle isolated.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Otona Cream Pie

Property lines

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:30 am
No doubt you won't be surprised to hear this is a bit of a grey area. The information on your property deeds may match up with what's registered with the local Shiyakusho or may be entirely different. Which one takes precedence ? Who knows ?

If you've got boundary posts around the edge of your property most neighbours seem to respect them. How do you know they haven't been moved ? Who knows ?

You can get your land surveyed, we had ours done by Mrs Nouka's dad's cousin's friend (bit of a distant relationship but hey ho), who's a surveyor. He came over with some sort of laser device and checked all the boundary markers but discovered a slim strip of land that we are part owners of, along with a bunch of other people that provides access to two plots of land that otherwise wouldn't have access. That wasn't in the Shiyakusho records, I don't remember how he found out about it, probably some surveyor trade secret. We can do what we like with this land so long as it still provides access to the two plots, which were tanbo but are now overgrown forest so never likely to be used.
For sure, without any actual neighbors, probably not worth the effort of surveying but maybe I should add my own new boundary posts?

The family temple I worked with in the area lost a good chunk of one side of their land when the unscrupulous city officials suddenly began to measure their land from the opposite side of a road on them. Having the local police support the yaks in extorting money from them previously, they gave in without a fight. Pretty insane some of the stories I've heard from them.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Likely part of your land was purchased to allow for the hydro pipe leaving the little triangle isolated.
Yep, that's how I see it too. I just wonder if I set something up there, like plant some blueberries or raspberries, will the workers mess with it or tell me to GTFO, not realizing I own the plot. Maybe I should laser up some signs?
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

Tora

Property lines

Post by Tora »

A friend with lots of forest out in the mountains said there is one particularly unsavory old man who apparently goes out in heavy rains and typhoons to move-little by little- the stones marking property boundaries out in the mountains. Of course his property keeps getting bigger....

OnionChutney

Property lines

Post by OnionChutney »

Tora wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:48 pm
A friend with lots of forest out in the mountains said there is one particularly unsavory old man who apparently goes out in heavy rains and typhoons to move-little by little- the stones marking property boundaries out in the mountains. Of course his property keeps getting bigger....
Sounds like an and old folk tale!
"On wet and windy nights, the old man in the woods will come out and move the land stones. No one has ever seen him, but little by little, their property gets smaller and smaller. It's also said that if you catch him and stare him direcltly in the eyes, all the vegetables in your garden will die!"
We think we've found our house in the countryside near Munakata City, but we want to be sure!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Property lines

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:46 pm
For sure, without any actual neighbors, probably not worth the effort of surveying but maybe I should add my own new boundary posts?
I'm not 100% sure on the process of installing new markers as we have the old concrete ones but you may need a surveyor to do it for you.
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
The family temple I worked with in the area lost a good chunk of one side of their land when the unscrupulous city officials suddenly began to measure their land from the opposite side of a road on them. Having the local police support the yaks in extorting money from them previously, they gave in without a fight. Pretty insane some of the stories I've heard from them.
Some fights you just can't win.
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Yep, that's how I see it too. I just wonder if I set something up there, like plant some blueberries or raspberries, will the workers mess with it or tell me to GTFO, not realizing I own the plot. Maybe I should laser up some signs?
So long as the land looks like it's being cultivated they probably won't touch it
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Hidden Content
It's another one of those grey areas, given how exif data can be faked pictures with a date stamp probably won't cut the mustard in any legal claims

Tora

Property lines

Post by Tora »

OnionChutney wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:09 pm
Tora wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:48 pm
Sounds like an and old folk tale!
"On wet and windy nights, the old man in the woods will come out and move the land stones. No one has ever seen him, but little by little, their property gets smaller and smaller. It's also said that if you catch him and stare him direcltly in the eyes, all the vegetables in your garden will die!"
Recently, I seem to come across people who came out of folk tales, bad comedies and even horror movies. I hope I’m not channeling this with my aura- note to self “burn some sage!”