Legality of burning (wood) garbage in your area?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
hushashi

Post by hushashi »

Hi folks,

As I begin the long process of cleaning up in and around my kura, cutting down brush in my now-fallow fields, and eyeballing the ever-growing pile of wood refuse generated by tearing down all the mickey mouse additions the previous owner built into the 100-year old kominka I recently bought, I find myself faced with a serious burnable garbage problem.

I was thinking to get a 55-gallon drum and poke a few airholes in it and go to town, but I figured I'd have a think about it, first. One neighbor says bonfires are clearly the sort of thing that would bring the fire department and a fine, but I've seen 55-gallon drums with smoke and flames leaping out not far from our area, so I am thinking there must be a legal way to burn wood and the like on your property assuming you aren't bothering anyone.

Anyone with experience doing or thinking about doing this? Where did you look to determine whether this is kosher or not? I don't want to open up a whole can of worms, would prefer to give the whole thing a skip or preemptively pay the right fees, or whatnot.

Curious what everyone here as done/tried. I guess hiring a refuse service is always another option...

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It may well depend on the area. Over here most folk burn the black plastic mulch in the middle of the field it was used in and our village doesn't have a burnable trash pickup so those that don't take their burnable rubbish down to the gomi centre just burn it all out back at home.

We had some truly epic fires when clearing our land to get rid of a lot of the dead trees we felled when we first bought it and no one complained, flames were going 7 or 8 metres into the air and you couldn't get close to the fire to put more wood on. However we are surrounded by forest and no neighbours can see our land.

@Eric in Japan might be able to tell you what is allowed but you might be ok with a small low key fire that is well away from anyone else's property. Eric might be able to clarify this but I think that possibly some sorts of fires are allowed on agricultural land.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Build a massive bonfire pit, burn away....just keep a sweet potato nearby. I shit you not, I've had the cops called on me a few times and the officer was just like "Mr CreamPie, I see this is bigger than a campfire..but you're also making yaki imo (I wasn't) and charcoal (I wasn't) Just don't let the flames get too big and make sure it's contained." TIJ, as long as it looks reasonable on paper, you're good.

Shizuman

Post by Shizuman »

Where I am at the first whiff of smoke the fireys will come out and ask you to put it out, even if its farm related, the neighborhood is really touchy on fire, most of the farmers here want to burn but it got so touchy the city hall got involved and now its a no go, I would sound out any farmers in the area and see how much they can get away with before you get in trouble.
Good luck

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

In my area, if you want to burn, you need to call the fire department and tell them your name,address, and until when you will be burning. Fire department tells you to have water or an extinguisher near by and you are good to burn.

I wonder, if you just call your fire department and see if you can do the same in your area.

edmundedgar

Post by edmundedgar »

Living in a pottery town (we have something like 1 kiln for every 3 inhabitants, although the professional potters generally use gas or electricity nowadays) it's considered normal for smoke to be going up everywhere so everyone burns everything. I think technically there are limits on what you're supposed to be burning but they can't arrest everybody...

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

just build a half arse (or even an amazing) charcoal kama. let the FD know that you have... and ask them if you need to tell them when you going to 'make charcoal'.
Put all the shit in there and burn it without closing up the kiln.. unless of course you do want to make charcoal.

Or like the good people of @edmundedgar community, take up pottery. You can put any wood in a kiln especially when you are getting things going at the beginning. Just be sure to split any bamboo because it has a tendency to explode and take pottery with it.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Chuck2 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:35 pm
In my area, if you want to burn, you need to call the fire department and tell them your name,address, and until when you will be burning. Fire department tells you to have water or an extinguisher near by and you are good to burn.

I wonder, if you just call your fire department and see if you can do the same in your area.
This is the same for us, have to call them up if we plan on burning anything.
Although I have the feeling we're the only ones who do it with all the smoke I see in the early morning from whatever people are burning.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

hushashi

Post by hushashi »

Wow thanks folks, really good group of answers here!

I guess I'll reach out to the local city and/or fire folks first, see if they're ok with things.

thanks again!

Tora

Post by Tora »

How the heck are you supposed to know when it’s gonna rain if nobody’s out burning stuff the day before?!

Seriously, I’d look/ask around the neighborhood and go with that. Maybe reach out to the authorities in an anonymous fashion. Sometimes there’s nothing wrong with making yakiimo or charcoal until you put someone on the spot (and in a position of responsibility!) where they have to say if it’s legal or not when everybody does it and there’s been no problem with it until now. In a Bureaucracy, nobody wants to be the one held responsible if the spit hits the fan.