Legality of burning (wood) garbage in your area?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Eric in Japan

Post by Eric in Japan »

It depends on how close your neighbors are and if they are sticklers for rules, etc. Probably not a good idea if you see them hanging laundry out that day.

I like the idea of digging a pit, having a hose, shovel, and some sweet potatoes ready. And although I hate to say it, you can probably play the gaijin card once in that situation. "Oh, so sorry, didn't know the customs, won't happen again..."

The best way is to ask your neighbors, then the fire department. But they might give you a firm "NO" and make you take it to the dump.
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

Tora

Post by Tora »

Eric in Japan wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:28 pm
It depends on how close your neighbors are and if they are sticklers for rules, etc. Probably not a good idea if you see them hanging laundry out that day.

I like the idea of digging a pit, having a hose, shovel, and some sweet potatoes ready. And although I hate to say it, you can probably play the gaijin card once in that situation. "Oh, so sorry, didn't know the customs, won't happen again..."

The best way is to ask your neighbors, then the fire department. But they might give you a firm "NO" and make you take it to the dump.
“Don’t ask. Don’t tell.”

Take the neighbors some sweet potatoes? Make them part of the crime so they have second thoughts about ratting you out?

MickByrnes1969

Post by MickByrnes1969 »

I'm pretty lucky in this department. One of my neighbours is the head of the local neighbourhood group and the volunteer shobosha brigade. I just inform them what I'm intending and he gives me a time so he can get the locals out on a training exercise to put the fire out at the end.
Some poor bugger, always the new kid, isnt warned that this is a semi annual event and has to explain to the ignorant foreigner fire safety rules.
Seems that everyone is a winner here and if you have a local shobosha near where you are inform them and if there are any local by-laws you'll find them out quickly and probably given alternatives that other residents in a similar situation use.
Good luck.

BTW, like the yaki-imo angle :lol:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Ibaraki llama

Post by Ibaraki llama »

In my area I’m told there is up to a 3 million yen fine. Speak to your neighbours though. Mine told me just burn after 4pm after everyone’s washing us in, at night, on windy days, rainy days are good, or at the same time as the farmers when the whole area is a haze of smoke. So maybe if you stick to night you should be fine.

Having said that I see people burning any time of day or year, or in any weather. I even saw one guy burning on the side of the main street of town at peak hour once.

Insane

Post by Insane »

It's technically illegal, but you wouldn't know it from all the fires that farmers have going on. I think the only thing people worry about is whether your fire is safe. This means not doing it during a windy day.

I hate to think what it would be like if we weren't allowed to burn leaves and stuff.