When the wild boars break through the fence

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

damn

I thought it would more effective than that to be honest. It helps stopping you cutting the wires and such at least right?

May I suggest exploiting the local children by using them as super cheap labour paying them 10yen per meter?
Once completed tell them they missed a few places and then halve their pay, as they haven't signed a contract they won't have a leg to stand on.

Either that or more weed killer.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Chuck2 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Sounds like your doing the same thing as what Im doing. I put that black sheeting under my fence but it isnt going so well. 50cm width sheeting suggested by experts isnt recommend by farmer.
Go wider, it does work...

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:29 pm
May I suggest exploiting the local children by using them as super cheap labour paying them 10yen per meter?
Good luck finding a kid willing to do any hard work. Mine used to kind of try until she realized it wasn’t easy, then claimed she needed a drink and disappeared til she was so hungry she had to come out and try to whine some food out of us. Just Gives me “the look” and a load of schlitz if I even have the nerve to ask for any help nowadays....

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Tora wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:43 pm
Good luck finding a kid willing to do any hard work. Mine used to kind of try until she realized it wasn’t easy, then claimed she needed a drink and disappeared til she was so hungry she had to come out and try to whine some food out of us. Just Gives me “the look” and a load of schlitz if I even have the nerve to ask for any help nowadays....
Kids these days, when I was a nipper I used to have 3 paper rounds, worked part time at a Chip Shop and at the local coal mine.
Not really, I was too busy chucking tiny stones at cars and setting my toys on fire.

I really hope people don't take what I write seriously.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:49 pm
Kids these days, when I was a nipper I used to have 3 paper rounds, worked part time at a Chip Shop and at the local coal mine.
Not really, I was too busy chucking tiny stones at cars and setting my toys on fire.
Well I worked dagnabbit. I had to cuz I hafta pay rent to my own pappy. And we didn’t waste no rocks on cars. No siree! We threw snowballs that we made ourselves with snow other people didn’t want!
AND WE LIKED IT !!!!

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
damn

I thought it would more effective than that to be honest. It helps stopping you cutting the wires and such at least right?

Once completed tell them they missed a few places and then halve their pay, as they haven't signed a contract they won't have a leg to stand on.

Either that or more weed killer.
Sorry about the late reply. Been busy cutting all those weeds around the electric fence. It does help with not cutting the wires. I usually use a nylon rope attachment when cutting around it. Sometimes when you're cutting and day dreaming, you get the head of the trimmer all wrapped up in the wire of the electric fence. It does work pretty good for the first couple of years. Grass will start growing where the poles and sheet nails are. I'm fortunate to only need to keep animals out for about 3 months a year so I really only keep the grass cut around it for those months.

Haha, I like your thinking about the hiring help. Not too many kids in my area though might have to go with baba and jiji's, from what I've seen they have some pretty good work ethic.
Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:22 pm
Chuck2 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Sounds like your doing the same thing as what Im doing. I put that black sheeting under my fence but it isnt going so well. 50cm width sheeting suggested by experts isnt recommend by farmer.

Now, that is the width I need! What are you doing with that space covered?
Tora wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:43 pm
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Haha, kids these days. I know what you mean.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Otona Cream Pie

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Chuck2 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:17 am

Now, that is the width I need! What are you doing with that space covered?
That pic is the hill behind my log cabin build site. The plan is to pour a nice thick cement slab there to connect with a small bridge to the 2nd floor of the cabin. Good for BBQ, pizza oven, jacuzzi? :dance:

It has been pretty effective and supposed to last up to 3 years...so I better pour in the next 2 years!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We are currently extending our electric fence around all of our property due to being raided multiple times by inoshishi, last time they dug up all our autumn/winter carrots and kabu searching for worms :doh:, so we're keen for that to not happen again.

Previously for short runs we've used the cheap orange wire for Komeri but that seems to suffer from rust quite quickly and over longer distances the voltage seems to drop off to quite low level so was delighted to find ゲッターコード from Suematsu Electronics.

Apparently it uses a mix of stainless steel wires for strength and plated copper wires for low resistance and a high visibility polymer rope/string so animals can easily see it. It's a tad expensive due to the copper but conduction seems to be quite good even over long distances. Will have to wait and see how it does over the next few years but if it can resist corrosion better than the cheaper wire from Komeri then it will be worth the extra cost.

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:56 am
We are currently extending our electric fence around all of our property due to being raided multiple times by inoshishi, last time they dug up all our autumn/winter carrots and kabu searching for worms :doh:, so we're keen for that to not happen again.

Previously for short runs we've used the cheap orange wire for Komeri but that seems to suffer from rust quite quickly and over longer distances the voltage seems to drop off to quite low level so was delighted to find ゲッターコード from Suematsu Electronics.

Apparently it uses a mix of stainless steel wires for strength and plated copper wires for low resistance and a high visibility polymer rope/string so animals can easily see it. It's a tad expensive due to the copper but conduction seems to be quite good even over long distances. Will have to wait and see how it does over the next few years but if it can resist corrosion better than the cheaper wire from Komeri then it will be worth the extra cost.
Sorry to hear about your crops getting eaten by the wild boars. I only use ゲッターコード wire now too. I have it still in use from at least four years ago. And still working great. What kind of power unit to you have? I have 2 ゲッターエース3ソーラー. They are pretty good units. I did have to get one serviced this summer because I had not attached it to a wood post as per the instructions, and instead just had it laying on the ground. A colony of ants made a home in the unit and shorted out some of the electronics.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Chuck2 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:42 pm
Sorry to hear about your crops getting eaten by the wild boars. I only use ゲッターコード wire now too. I have it still in use from at least four years ago. And still working great. What kind of power unit to you have? I have 2 ゲッターエース3ソーラー. They are pretty good units. I did have to get one serviced this summer because I had not attached it to a wood post as per the instructions, and instead just had it laying on the ground. A colony of ants made a home in the unit and shorted out some of the electronics.
Thanks man,

We've reseeded the carrots and kabu and although it's a bit late for the carrots At least we should get to harvest something, if a little smaller than hoped for in December. The reseeded kabu will probably be be ok if a little late so all in all we just lost some seeds and time.

The ゲッターコード seems pretty good compared to the cheaper wires and a touch test on the wire certainly delivers an almighty slap that I'll not be in a hurry to repeat, Mrs Nouka thought it was hilarious watching me get zapped :lol:. We use a Stafix X2 which so far has been quite a good unit, it's around ten year old now and still belts out a good shock although reading your reply maybe I should lift it up off the ground and make a little house or shelter for it :oops:. How is the ゲッターエース3ソーラー ? We have another plot of land away from the house so can't supply an energiser there with mains electricity and wondering about solar/battery options. Do you have it energising the fence 24/7 or only at night ?