Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Chuck2

When the wild boars break through the fence

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:03 pm
Chuck2 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:42 pm
Sorry to hear about your crops getting eaten by the wild boars. I only use ゲッターコード wire now too. I have it still in use from at least four years ago. And still working great. What kind of power unit to you have? I have 2 ゲッターエース3ソーラー. They are pretty good units. I did have to get one serviced this summer because I had not attached it to a wood post as per the instructions, and instead just had it laying on the ground. A colony of ants made a home in the unit and shorted out some of the electronics.
Thanks man,

We've reseeded the carrots and kabu and although it's a bit late for the carrots At least we should get to harvest something, if a little smaller than hoped for in December. The reseeded kabu will probably be be ok if a little late so all in all we just lost some seeds and time.

The ゲッターコード seems pretty good compared to the cheaper wires and a touch test on the wire certainly delivers an almighty slap that I'll not be in a hurry to repeat, Mrs Nouka thought it was hilarious watching me get zapped :lol:. We use a Stafix X2 which so far has been quite a good unit, it's around ten year old now and still belts out a good shock although reading your reply maybe I should lift it up off the ground and make a little house or shelter for it :oops:. How is the ゲッターエース3ソーラー ? We have another plot of land away from the house so can't supply an energiser there with mains electricity and wondering about solar/battery options. Do you have it energising the fence 24/7 or only at night ?
I like the ゲッターエース3ソーラー, it is easy to use and you can just push a button to see how charged the battery is. It also has a flashing light that tells you it's working which you can see from a far distance so you don't have to walk right up to it. Bad point is it is pretty expensive. I have one around my orchard and one around my vineyard and they are on 24/7. And like yours
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Chuck2 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:47 am
I like the ゲッターエース3ソーラー, it is easy to use and you can just push a button to see how charged the battery is. It also has a flashing light that tells you it's working which you can see from a far distance so you don't have to walk right up to it. Bad point is it is pretty expensive. I have one around my orchard and one around my vineyard and they are on 24/7. And like yours
I've learned through painful experience that buying cheaper often ends up with an inferior product that costs you more money in the long run when you have to buy a replacement so don't mind paying for a better built product. The ゲッターエース3ソーラー specs look pretty good, have you had to replace the battery yet are they still working with the originals ?

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:03 pm
Do you have it energising the fence 24/7 or only at night ?
I hated it when the boars got in my garden looking for worms. Green net fence has kept the local boars away but their numbers HAVE decreased significantly and deliciously over the last 6-8 months or so.

Boars are active at all hours of the day if they feel safe. If your other plot is isolated or doesn’t see much human activity then the boars might feel ok rummaging around in the daytime.

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:29 am
Chuck2 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:47 am
I've learned through painful experience that buying cheaper often ends up with an inferior product that costs you more money in the long run when you have to buy a replacement so don't mind paying for a better built product. The ゲッターエース3ソーラー specs look pretty good, have you had to replace the battery yet are they still working with the originals ?
They are both still using their original battery. I only use them for about 5 months a year and have had them for about 4yrs. I put 2m wide boso sheeting under all the electric fence this summer, so now I don't have to worry so much about cutting the grass around it so I might keep in on now all year.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:08 pm
I hated it when the boars got in my garden looking for worms. Green net fence has kept the local boars away but their numbers HAVE decreased significantly and deliciously over the last 6-8 months or so.

Boars are active at all hours of the day if they feel safe. If your other plot is isolated or doesn’t see much human activity then the boars might feel ok rummaging around in the daytime.
Well the ones around must feel pretty safe as we see them during the middle of the day lazing around in the sun. We used to have a hunter in the village but he recently gave up his gun due to age. We've thought about traps but after a friend described the trauma he had to go through stabbing and clubbing an adult inoshishi to death he caught in a trap neither Mrs Nouka or I thought we'd be able to do it :oops:. Do you off them yourself ?
Chuck2 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:12 am
They are both still using their original battery. I only use them for about 5 months a year and have had them for about 4yrs. I put 2m wide boso sheeting under all the electric fence this summer, so now I don't have to worry so much about cutting the grass around it so I might keep in on now all year.
That sounds pretty long lasting, which was a bit of a concern given the cost of replacement batteries. We may also have to look into putting sheeting down once we've decided on the final position of the fence wires, it can be a real pain having to keep weeds from touching fence wires in the summer.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 am
We've thought about traps but after a friend described the trauma he had to go through stabbing and clubbing an adult inoshishi to death he caught in a trap neither Mrs Nouka or I thought we'd be able to do it :oops:. Do you off them yourself ?

erm... you still don't have a nailgun??????
:lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:31 am
erm... you still don't have a nailgun??????
:lol:
No, should really look into getting one, maybe some similar to Anton Chigurh's, that seemed fairly portable and effective :lol:

One of our neighbours suggested electrocuting them but I reckon that could go horribly wrong in so many ways given my general lack of dexterity :D

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 am

Well the ones around must feel pretty safe as we see them during the middle of the day lazing around in the sun. We used to have a hunter in the village but he recently gave up his gun due to age. We've thought about traps but after a friend described the trauma he had to go through stabbing and clubbing an adult inoshishi to death he caught in a trap neither Mrs Nouka or I thought we'd be able to do it :oops:. Do you off them yourself ?
There are more humane? ways to off them Ryan’s clubbing them to death with a blunt object. I do live catch now. It actually seems easier. There are lots of YouTube vids about catching them alive. Add 「イノシシ生き取り」to the search. I don’t use any fancy hunter tools. The hana tsukami is just a piece of wire rope with a loop. There are specific tools that may or may not work better. It’s not for the faint of heart. I don’t recommend starting with a 120kg big boss hog like I did!

You get the best quality meat when you cut the carotid artery and let the heart pump the blood out. It’s easily recognized by the depression between the front leg and neck on the left(?) side. It’s quick and clean and how people have offed animals they intend to eat for forever. A wack on the bead with a piece of pipe might save them suffering or it might actually kill the poor thing outright and negate the attempt to bleed it out if you don’t do it right.

The first couple aren’t easy but supermarket meat will never taste as good after you eat wild boar processed properly. If you’re processing your own chickens, I’m sure there are similarities.

The license and taxes are the expensive part. I’m sure a lot of farmers who are more isolated (and less conspicuous!) than me take boars and deer and never bother with the licenses. I’m pretty sure we’ve paid for the license and trap costs in the money we’ve not spent on much lower quality supermarket meat over 6 months.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I'm guessing you have a fairly big fridge or freezer for the meat or is it gone in a few dinners? I don't think the meat would last half a day in my house.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:42 am
One of our neighbours suggested electrocuting them but I reckon that could go horribly wrong in so many ways given my general lack of dexterity :D
To stun or just kill???! How would you be able to do something like that safely to begin with?
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:59 pm
I'm guessing you have a fairly big fridge or freezer for the meat or is it gone in a few dinners? I don't think the meat would last half a day in my house.
A 60 kg boar will fit in our fridge minus some given to friends and family. About one every month seems to be about right. About 1/3-1/2 is ground. It’s so versatile that way. In general, You have to slow cook whole pieces if you want tender meat. Cooking it on top of the wood stove in winter seems to be one of the best ways. Best ramen, tacos, and bbq ribs ever.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:59 pm
To stun or just kill???! How would you be able to do something like that safely to begin with?
Think “Ride the Lightning” to the end. You can buy an expensive tool made for the purpose or just go get a portable battery charger/jump starter from the home center. I’m sure an old car battery would work too. Don’t know what you’d do for the electrodes. Never tried it. I usually just rope em and wrassle them. Gotta be careful cuz they’re quick, strong and have a helluva bite.

If there’s any vegans or animal rights people on here, I’m sorry. I don’t do a lot of this stuff. I try to keep it on a level that humans have been doing since they were monkeys scampering around in somebody’s garden and got bitten by a snake or something.