Time for winter seeding

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Might seem a bit odd as summer is just getting under way but if you want Brussel Sprouts for christmas better get on the case now.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Now is also a good time to start sequentially seeding kohlrabi and carrots (carrots will need a lot of water to germinate in the summer heat and to get established). Also for autumn zucchini start some germinating but make sure to get a variety that is resistant to downy mildew (うどんこ) or the summer rains will play havoc with the leaves.

In lowland areas it's still a bit early to seed turnip but maybe in upland places it's worth a try.

Both kairan and stick broccoli are worth seeding from now on, kairan will love the heat of summer and will mature somewhat quicker than stick broccoli which will fill in after the kairan is slowing down.

Chuck2

Time for winter seeding

Post by Chuck2 »

I like these post Zasso Nouka! You ever thought of writing a book about how to plant and maintain a garden in Japan? I would definitely buy it. Just keep out the info about brussel sprouts, I can eat any vegetable but for some reason since I was a kid and still now I just hate the taste of brussel sprouts.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Funny you should mention writing a book, this year Mrs Nouka bought me a nice loose leaf notebook and has me writing things like this down in it and she said she'll publish it so she can finally make some money out of me :lol:

I also used to hate Brussels as well but now love them when they aren't overcooked into a soggy mess ;)

donguri

Time for winter seeding

Post by donguri »

I agree with Chuck2 about these posts- always helpful and a book on organic gardening/farming IN JAPAN, written IN ENGLISH would be a true resource.
Brussels sprouts though? LOVE!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

If you are growing your own onions from seed it's probably a good time to get them in this week for transplanting at the end of October. We're growing this variety Non Cooler as they store for a long time without the need for cold storage. The seeds will need a lot of watering to get them started and establish a root system but once on the go they are fairly maintenance free.

Also for this month it's time to get your garlic in the ground so it can establish well before it shuts down for the winter. Go easy on the fertiliser for the time being as you don't want too much top growth before winter but once spring restarts growth give it plenty of feeding in a high phosphorus & potassium fertiliser like composted chicken manure. If using black plastic mulch whip that off in the spring and apply your fertiliser.

It's still time to seed daikon, we mostly grow small to medium sized daikon as they are easier to use without having to eat daikon for days at a time but this year we'll also be growing a lot of Takuan daikon that are long and very slim to aid drying. The takuan variety from Tohoku Seeds was really easy to grow last year, dried quite quickly and produced some lovely pickles. Bonus if you have Gardenia growing as you can use the seed pods to colour your takuan pickles yellow naturally. It was also good in Kiriboshi daikon (dried daikon) and was absolutely awesome when roasted fresh.

Depending on area you also might just about be able to squeeze a crop of ingen, either vine or bush type in but if you get cold early there might not be time.

Autumn zucchini probably should be planted this week to have a long enough harvest time before the frosts finish them off and for the rest of this month carrots can be sequentially seeded to provide a continuous harvest through the winter. Also now is the ideal time to start seeding turnips and rutabaga as they will start to mature as temperatures start going down.

It's also time to get autumn salad seeds on the go as hopefully by the time they get large enough the humidity and night time temperatures will have declined.

hushashi

Time for winter seeding

Post by hushashi »

Anyone ever grow naked barley? I've got a few packs I'm going to sprinkle into a lightly tilled patch of ground in a couple weeks. Will see if I can get it going here over the winter, hopefully make enough seed to do a bigger field next year -- that is, if it's worth saving.

I hear various things about naked barley, not all of them good (i.e., it's"useless" or "it makes good beer" and everything in between, but never met anyone who actually grew it themselves)

We shall see...!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

So far I've not grown any serials due to a fear of the back breaking work harvesting it if you don't have access to a combine. We buy our flour from a local farmer that grows organically and does all the hard work for us.

I think @Shizuman has grown cereals so he may be able to give you some advice.

Shizuman

Time for winter seeding

Post by Shizuman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:47 am
I think @Shizuman has grown cereals so he may be able to give you some advice.
Ah Im afraid i cant help much, I just do rice, rye and wheat. Id be interested to know how it goes though!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

If you are going to be growing mâche/lambs lettuce/corn salad this winter next week looks like it could be a good time to directly sow as the soil temperature might be low enough for it to germinate. A lot depends on how sunny it is and if that warms the soil up too much.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Time to get your winter onion slips in now, ideally this week and next week but up until the end of november at a push. Early harvest onions were last month, now is the time for storing onions that are harvested just before the rainy season kicks off.

If you like your onions spicy add some sulphur to the soil at planting time but if you prefer them mild don't bother, that also works with garlic.

Onion slips seem to have shot up in price this year, wasn't so long ago that they were 600円 for a bunch of 100, now they are around 800円 which is quite a jump. Non Cooler from Nanto Seed are a good option for long term storage if you want to grow your own.