Time for winter seeding

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Chuck2

Time for winter seeding

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:35 am
Time to get your winter onion slips in now, ideally this week and next week but up until the end of november at a push. Early harvest onions were last month, now is the time for storing onions that are harvested just before the rainy season kicks off.

If you like your onions spicy add some sulphur to the soil at planting time but if you prefer them mild don't bother, that also works with garlic.

Onion slips seem to have shot up in price this year, wasn't so long ago that they were 600円 for a bunch of 100, now they are around 800円 which is quite a jump. Non Cooler from Nanto Seed are a good option for long term storage if you want to grow your own.
I just planted my onions this morning. I think I'm late at planting because every where I went yesterday for seedlings were sold out. Was able to place an order and got them this morning. Glad I got the mounds built yesterday before all the rain last night.

Thanks for the tip about adding sulphur. I have always felt Japanese onions and garlic have no taste. Will have to try that next year. What rate and product of sulphur do you recommend?
Do you have a online source for garlic for planting? My town is sold out.

DocDoesFarming

Time for winter seeding

Post by DocDoesFarming »

You should be fine with planting the Onions now, we only just planted ours last week. All 10,000 of them.
My knees didn't like that job.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Chuck2

Time for winter seeding

Post by Chuck2 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:11 pm
You should be fine with planting the Onions now, we only just planted ours last week. All 10,000 of them.
My knees didn't like that job.
Wow! I only planted 500 and my knees were done, can't imagine doing 10 000.

DocDoesFarming

Time for winter seeding

Post by DocDoesFarming »

First time doing it this year, need to figure out a less painful way of doing it next time.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
All 10,000 of them.
You must have vertebrae made of titanium Doc :lol:. I don't grow anywhere near that number but even then we get them split into two deliveries a few weeks apart.
Chuck2 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:37 pm
I just planted my onions this morning. I think I'm late at planting because every where I went yesterday for seedlings were sold out. Was able to place an order and got them this morning. Glad I got the mounds built yesterday before all the rain last night.
As @DocDoesFarming says you'll be fine, we'll be planting our second lot either next week or the week after so you should have no problem.
Chuck2 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:37 pm
Thanks for the tip about adding sulphur. I have always felt Japanese onions and garlic have no taste. Will have to try that next year. What rate and product of sulphur do you recommend?
Do you have a online source for garlic for planting? My town is sold out.

I use this stuff Soluble Sulphur, just mix it up at the suggested rate, put it in a back pack sprayer and liberally water it into the ground. You don't need huge amounts so don't go mental with it but if you feel there isn't enough then a second application in the spring is fine. You can water it in at anytime between now and April next year. Sulphur is an important micro nutrient anyway and many crops benefit from a little every now and then, I even add it to the dripline system in our vinyl houses a couple of time a year.

E-Taneya sells garlic online but it's a bit late to be planting now, you'll still get a crop but the bulbs will be smaller. Ideal time for planting is late September and all through October. Personally I wouldn't bother with White Loppen from Aomori, it's overpriced and you don't get garlic scrapes in the spring but as it's a soft neck variety the bulbs do store a bit longer. Kagoshima or other hard neck varieties are more cold hardy and give scrapes in the spring.

DocDoesFarming

Time for winter seeding

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:25 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:
All 10,000 of them.
You must have vertebrae made of titanium Doc :lol:. I don't grow anywhere near that number but even then we get them split into two deliveries a few weeks apart.
Ha, I wish, sometimes it feels like jelly. :D
Although boxes of kabu we're packing feel lighter compared to last year and my back hasn't given in yet. Maybe it's all the fat I've accumulated this year that are keeping them in place.

Chuck2

Time for winter seeding

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:25 am

I use this stuff Soluble Sulphur, just mix it up at the suggested rate, put it in a back pack sprayer and liberally water it into the ground. You don't need huge amounts so don't go mental with it but if you feel there isn't enough then a second application in the spring is fine. You can water it in at anytime between now and April next year. Sulphur is an important micro nutrient anyway and many crops benefit from a little every now and then, I even add it to the dripline system in our vinyl houses a couple of time a year.

E-Taneya sells garlic online but it's a bit late to be planting now, you'll still get a crop but the bulbs will be smaller. Ideal time for planting is late September and all through October. Personally I wouldn't bother with White Loppen from Aomori, it's overpriced and you don't get garlic scrapes in the spring but as it's a soft neck variety the bulbs do store a bit longer. Kagoshima or other hard neck varieties are more cold hardy and give scrapes in the spring.
Thanks that helps a lot. I was able to order garlic from them. I must have been living a sheltered life because I only recently started eating garlic scrapes and absolutely love them, didn't realize some garlic varieties don't produce them. Will try the sulphur on both the onions and garlic this season.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Time for winter seeding

Post by Zasso Nouka »

No worries man, if you have a Komeri, Nafco or other home centre nearby they should have stocks of garlic from late august/early september and might be a bit cheaper than E-Taneya and you won't have to pay a delivery charge. We really look forward to our first harvest of garlic scrapes, they add such a lovely flavour to so many dishes.

As for the sulphur I couldn't really say how much I water into the ground but you can slowly adjust it over the years to your liking and a single bottle should last ages.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:58 pm
Ha, I wish, sometimes it feels like jelly. :D
Although boxes of kabu we're packing feel lighter compared to last year and my back hasn't given in yet. Maybe it's all the fat I've accumulated this year that are keeping them in place.

You must be getting fitter man, they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D :razz: