Trailers! And the "950" Registration?

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
hushashi

Post by hushashi »

Hi folks and hopefully a trailer owner or two... Random question time from me again...

I recent plunked down the cash for a light duty Suntrex trailer (350kg capacity) to go with my Suntrax hitch which is rated for 750kg.

This is what I ended up picking... inertial brakes, for the mountains...
https://www.neonet-marine.com/item/TD02ZI.html

The dealer provided me with a detailed document that outlines the specifications/limits of both my specific vehicle and the trailer together, weights, braking considerations, etc., which I guess need to take to the vehicle inspection bureau and have them modify the shaken document for my truck with something called a 950 registration. This makes the trailer legal.

I need to do this before the trailer arrives in a few weeks.

The process is soft of documented here:

https://kini-mono.com/950-shorui
https://blog.neonet-marine.com/14054.html

My question is - has anyone here done this? I am wondering what lessons might have been learned by anyone, before I haul ass on over to the Kanto Transport Bureau, shaken document in hand, and try to fill that form out without any help.

Seems straightforward enough, going by the docs, but my literacy level is more like 60& or 70%, not 100...always a risky state of affairs, in Japan :lol:

Thoughts and advice VERY much welcomed and appreciated!!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Never done it myself and imagine you might be the first to try on the forum so if you don't mind letting us know how it goes and what to expect it could prove useful for someone else in the future.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

I have not done a trailer but have self registered from kei car up to 33 numbers and I have always found them to be incredibly helpful.
But don't mind me, I also find the tax office chaps to be incredibly helpful too. :D

Tora

Post by Tora »

My friend who is a carpenter makes trailers into really sweet campers and portable shops. Registration seemed pretty straightforward. He does remove the house part when he takes them in for shaken. We are also in “Inaka” so some regulations might be different from Kanto.

I would not be surprised if you need an extra certification on your driver’s license for a trailer. There are many roads in this country that I would NOT want to take a trailer on! I’m sure you’ve confirmed your neighborhood isn’t full of them and you can get your new lil buddy home.

I am also interested in how you get on with this as I’d like to get a trailer at some point when the wife is in a good mood or not looking.

hushashi

Post by hushashi »

Thanks guys, yeah I'll break down the reality of the process once I go... should be this week. Looks like there are two or three forms to fill out, and they take my shaken doc and issue me a new one. But beyond the shaken doc, the rating/calculation document provided by the dealer, doesn't appear there is anything else needed except the inkan. Fingers crossed. Will advise...

hushashi

Post by hushashi »

All right sports fans... I got it done. Let me break it down.

To reiterate, the point of this mission was to amend the shakensho for my X-Trail, to take note of the hitch I'd installed and the engineering details of the trailer I'd bought, its weight, loading capacity, braking capabilities, affect on overall vehicle performance... exactly what you'd expect for a trailer too small to require a special license (everything goes on the shaken form so they know to inspect the hitch next time)

My destination was the Kanto Transport Bureau Vehicle Inspection Office, Tsuchiura branch...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kanto ... 40.1483585

First day I went I was defeated. I went in our kei car, having read several places that the submission was paperwork only, no inspection required. After about 30 mins wasted trying to figure out where to go (help resources are thin on the ground) I talked to a clerk and asked him what to do.

He took my shakensho and the dealer's data sheet, looked them over, produced a blank form, crossed everything out, stamped it, wrote two numbers on it (the weight of the X-trail and the load capacity of the hitch, I think) and told me to get in line over at the inspection bay building. Uh oh...

I wandered over there, down-hearted and feeling stupid. Wrong car, too late to get a decent spot, people lined up 20 deep... no way I had time to do this, even if I had driven here in the X-trail. I left for the day, defeated.

Next day I went back, earlier, got a spot in line, third behind a couple big rigs, left the car there (technically a no no but everyone does it) and went to the office and waited. At 8:45 sharp, the office opened and I asked the same guy to re-stamp my doc and confirm the bay number. Bay one... where I was. All good. I returned to my car.

An entire hour later it was my turn, and sure enough, the pre-check guy confirms I didn't need to line up. I could have simply gone into an office noted nowhere and handed a couple of sour looking dudes my stamped document, shakensho, and data sheet, and they'd take a half hour to write the same numbers as the first guy in pen and stamp the document proving it was they who did this amazing deed.

Long story short, get the doc stamped, go back to the first building, fill out three more documents partially (the guy here was very helpful) and wait another half hour. They destroy the old shakensho and hand me a new one with the good news - a trailer is officially allowed, of such & such specifications (700kg total weight, etc.) Entire process start to finish, three hours, of which perhaps five or ten minutes was really necessary. Cost was nil, which made the whole thing seem less annoying than it would have had they charged. Felt pretty good when it was over.

So that's it. Nothing much to it, really... besides the fun of not knowing where to go, who to talk to, etc. I am guessing most trailer dealers do this for you, if you buy from them. My dealer is in Nagoya and was not able to do this part for me.

Anyway, like most things in Japan... after you've done it once you're an expert, and it seems a silly thing to have been worried about at all.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Glad you got it done man. I've also found some of the office folk at our shaken centre to be sadly uninformed on the process their job is supposed to entail when something unusual crops up, the actual technical inspection people on the other hand all seem very well informed. Perhaps it's the practice of rotating staff around different offices and jobs every couple of years ?
hushashi wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:40 pm
Anyway, like most things in Japan... after you've done it once you're an expert, and it seems a silly thing to have been worried about at all.
Very wise words indeed, processes that can seem baffling at first become much easier having been done and often there is a helpful staff member who seems happy to help.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Hushashi,
Thanks for the rundown on the process. It seems more annoying than actually difficult.

Was the trailer weight limited by the hitch weight rating or the vehicle type/size?

hushashi

Post by hushashi »

I think it's mostly determined by the hitch.

I bought a Suntrex "Tugmaster" class C hitch, which is rated for 750kg . It bolts onto the frame, no welding. I believe 8 bolts total.

The trailer itself is about 250kg in weight, and is rated for 350kg of load. The tongue weight I forget but it wasn't much, 100kg I think.

Technically the trailer I got can be pulled by a kei, so it's entirely dependent upon the hitch rating. C sounds good, but A and B ratings are useless and I've never actually seen a hitch below C. Above C and you're almost certainly looking at something foreign and welded.