soybeans

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
donguri

soybeans

Post by donguri »

Thanks, Zasso!

I think you may be right. The soybeans ALL had the little pellet nodules but nothing else in the garden did. Of course I’m relieved that it’s most likely NOT case of root knot nematodes (reading a bit about them, they sound truly vicious), but now I’m back to wondering why absolutely none of the pods developed actual beans.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

soybeans

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Well that's a relief, you can leave the roots in the ground as they will release nitrogen into the soil as they break down and feed a subsequent crop. As for the lack of beans I honestly have no idea, when you open a pod is it completely empty or is there the remains of a bean that has been eaten ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

soybeans

Post by gonbechan »

I still think its stink bugs or their larvae (nymphs). they have a long probuscus and can pretty much suck out the life of a bean using enzymes that liquidize the bean, leaving either tiny little beans, or sometimes what appears to be none at all.
The exterior damage to the pod is minimal.
the damage

stink bug (kamemushi) nymph
there are various kinds and most of them look very much like either weird ladybugs or even potato beetles when they are little.

donguri

soybeans

Post by donguri »

Most of the pods had what appeared to be the skin that covers the bean (hull?) but almost no starter beans. A few had what appeared to be a little seed-the beginning of a bean? similar to the photo Gonbechan posted, but most were empty. They looked plump and had the shape of being bean-filled, but no beans. ZERO.
Haven’t seen any of those type of bugs around, but it’s certainly possible. Ugh.
Some of the old timers in the neighborhood have suggested the soil is too rich. But in that case it’s usually an abundance of leaves with no/few pods. Mine had plenty of pods.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

soybeans

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You've probably thought of this already but how many between the formation of the pods and harvest ?

donguri

soybeans

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm
You've probably thought of this already but how many between the formation of the pods and harvest ?
Ummm, how many what? between pods and harvest? Sorry, I'm not following here :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

soybeans

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:22 pm
Ummm, how many what? between pods and harvest? Sorry, I'm not following here :lol:
Whoops sorry, my bad. How many days ? :oops: