Green house questions

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Trying to figure out Dropbox
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Shizuman

Green house questions

Post by Shizuman »

Just had a squizz and it works, that is a beauty of a greenhouse mate!

Chuck2

Green house questions

Post by Chuck2 »

That's a great looking greenhouse!

I like the idea of heating it with compost and water barrels.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Green house questions

Post by Zasso Nouka »

@Tora I've edited your post to remove the link to your dropbox and instead include the pictures.

To post pictures on the forum first upload them to a hosting platform, click on one of the pictures you want to post and then right click and choose the option closest to "Copy image location", each browser has a slightly different wording. With that address copied come back to your post here and click on the "Insert Image" icon above the text panel and insert the address between the square brackets.

Your greenhouse really is a work of art, it looks absolutely fantastic :clap: :dance:. Love the homemade step ladder as well, that's awesome.

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:52 am
That's a great looking greenhouse!

I like the idea of heating it with compost and water barrels.
It would look better with new plastic and a few minor changes. The proof is in how well it works. I’m getting a late start on heating though. I’ll report back on how well it works. I was thinking a rocket mass heater type system would work better but I’d have to keep it protected from the elements in the other seasons or rebuild it every year. I think I waste enough time without making more work for myself.

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 am
@Tora I've edited your post to remove the link to your dropbox and instead include the pictures.

To post pictures on the forum….

Your greenhouse really is a work of art, it looks absolutely fantastic :clap: :dance:. Love the homemade step ladder as well, that's awesome.
Thanks for fixing that Zasso. I’ll try that next time.

I hope it’s functional art. I know the neighbors seem to be loving it :lol: it’s on a hill AND 5 meters tall so it looks HUGE. You’d think it was one of the 7 wonders of the village the way they’re lining up to have a look :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Can’t beat the price and if it works I guess I’m happy.

That ladder was the real work of art. It was quite stable after I added a couple extra stabilizer/support legs out to the sides. Haven’t been that scared in a while though. Don’t try that at home. We’re trained professionals here :lol:

Shizuman

Green house questions

Post by Shizuman »

Hey man there's a bloke by the name of Jesse frost who does a market garden podcast and to warm his greenhouse or maybe even out the temp, got a few of those 220ltr blue rain barrels and painted them black as thermal mass, would that fit in with the system?

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

Shizuman wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:01 am
Hey man there's a bloke by the name of Jesse frost who does a market garden podcast and to warm his greenhouse or maybe even out the temp, got a few of those 220ltr blue rain barrels and painted them black as thermal mass, would that fit in with the system?
Thanks. I downloaded a few podcasts with him. They look pretty interesting.

I drug in and filled up an old stainless bathtub and a rusty steel drum can I was using as a burn barrel. I will look around for some plastic barrels or head down the coast to see if I can find any big fishing floats washed up on the shore. I’ve seen some about the size of those drums and they are already black!

I set up a 2 cubic meter compost bin in there too. It might take a while to get it filled up and really cooking though.

Got another half day to get it closed in and tied down and then I can start focusing on what else to plant.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Green house questions

Post by gonbechan »

there is a mango variety that apparently grows well in Japan (and sells for about 1.5 arms or 1 whole leg per fruit) and I saw somewhere the saplings for sale.
I am on my first coffee still as I overslept due to the massive excitement of Senor Gonbe's bro dropping by and presenting me with a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It is supposed to be a krimbo/new year prezzie but the dude is clever. By giving it to me early, he guarantees some tasty stuff when he comes over at the new year :lol:
But I shall find the place that sells the mango saplings once my brain kicks in.

Tora

Green house questions

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:56 am
there is a mango variety that apparently grows well in Japan (and sells for about 1.5 arms or 1 whole leg per fruit) and I saw somewhere the saplings for sale.
I am on my first coffee still as I overslept due to the massive excitement of Senor Gonbe's bro dropping by and presenting me with a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It is supposed to be a krimbo/new year prezzie but the dude is clever. By giving it to me early, he guarantees some tasty stuff when he comes over at the new year :lol:
Just googled that stand mixer and it is SWEET! I understand your excitement and your brother in law’s tact!

The mango sounds good. I’ve been wondering what temperature you have to keep the greenhouse at to grow them.

There’s a farm or 2 growing mangoes here in Tokushima. They are very tasty. They were selling them pretty cheaply by local standards at a couple of Michi no eki. Maybe they were seconds judging by appearance but still as good as the ones I had when I was in central and southern Mexico. I’ll have to keep my eyes and ears open for a way to get in touch with the people growing them.